(8)

Four years had passed since Mal left Auradon. A lot has changed since then. Mal was twenty one now and she had developed a career in music. That night in the bar with James and Skye changed her life forever. She was now predicted to be the next big thing. Her whole life was set ahead of her. She was already so successful and she had proved to herself that what Audrey had said about her all those years ago.

Flashback

Mal was heading to her last class, like she always did she stopped at her locker and was greeted by Ben. They stayed there talking for several minutes until Ben left for his history class. Mal had Fairies 101. Mal had felt like somebody was watching her.

Audrey peeped out of the corner in which she was hiding. 

“ I feel sorry for Ben “

Mal turned around and faced her.

“ Ben is fine, Audrey. He doesn’t need you to waste your precious worrying about him “ Mal replied

“ Let me finish “ Audrey snapped

Mal nodded and returned to her locker gathering the rest of her books; not really paying much attention to her

“ Ben is a good man. He is kind and generous. He is a wise leader yet somehow he got stuck with someone pathetic like you. Think about it, what do you have to offer him? Nothing. You’re pathetic! The only achievement you’ll ever have to your name is that you and Ben have dated and you’ll tell your friends that on his wedding day…… to a princess or even better me! “

“ Audrey, you’re ridiculous. I can do more than be Ben’s girlfriend. I saved Auradon, remember “

“ From your mother? You wanted to steal the wand. You even tried to. You spelled Ben, must I go on “ Audrey was listing out every questionable thing Mal had done

Mal rolled her eyes

“ I’m late for class “ Mal excused herself

“ A good lady is never late “ Audrey called out 

Mal smiled at the memory. She had felt horrible in the moment but if only Audrey could see her now. She would have nothing to say to her now.

“ What are you thinking about? “ Her boyfriend smiled at her

James and herself started dating a year ago. He spent three years being friendzoned and she finally agreed to go on a date with him and they have been official ever since. James is an actor and he sings in his free time, they are a famous celebrity couple. He made her forget about the pain of missing Ben and her friends but he wasn’t Ben. She could move on from him but there would always be a part of her that wondered what if? Ben may have made a few mistakes with her but she didn’t hold them against him. 

“ you “ she lied

Mal couldn’t tell her boyfriend that she was thinking of her ex. He didn’t know about her life in Auradon or even that her mother was Maleficent and that her father was Hades. He would think she was crazy. To him, villains and heroes were just fairytale characters and to anyone outside of Auradon it would sound crazy to them.

“ What about me? My good looks? My amazing personality ? “ He flirted

Mal hesitated

“ I am very lucky to have you “ Mal laughed

“ You are “ he replied pulling her into a hug

He was a bit self centred at times. Mal couldn’t tell whether he was joking or not with his remarks but everyone had flaws so she would just have to put up with it.

“ I love you “ he said

“ I love you too “

She said she loved him even if she knew that may be a lie. She didn’t know whether she truly loved him or not. Mal sighed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“ Ben, Ben, come back here “ a woman called out

“ why should I? “ Ben replied

“ It’s not what it looks like “ She begged

“ Tell me Brooke, I want to hear your excuse for this! “ 

Ben started dating Brooke six months ago after his Royal Council declared he must look towards the future of the kingdom even if that meant a future without Mal in it. Queen Leah pushed for him to date Audrey again but he was opposed to the decision. He met Brooke ( Brooklyn in full) at a Royal Ball from a visiting kingdom and she moved to Auradon City to take her position as acting Lady of the Court. Ben didn’t want to give the position to Brooklyn as he still had faith he would meet Mal again so she was acting Lady of the Court until Ben came to his senses according to Brooke.

Ben had walked in on Brooke cheating on him with Chad. It was always Chad

“ It wasn’t what it looked like. He was helping me with something “ 

“ Oh, he was helping you by kissing you! My mistake “ Ben said sarcastically “ I’ve known Chad my whole life and Chad and Help are never found in the same sentence “ 

Brooke bit her lip 

“ Please forgive me. It won’t happen again. I want to be your queen, believe me “ Brooke begged

“ That’s what you said when you said yes to a date with Aziz! “ Ben yelled “ Besides you want to be queen, sure, every girl here wants that! You are only with me for the throne! Admit that, at least “ 

“ Benny, you’re just stressed “ She played with his hair

Ben pushed her away from him

“ Because of you! Brooke, I’m done. I can’t do this anymore “ Ben walked out of his office leaving Brooke standing there completely clueless.

Ben returned to his office several hours later. Brooke had left. He was heartbroken. He had been betrayed several times by her alone in only six months since he met her. He loved being king but sometimes he hated the price that came with it. It was hard for him to find true love; most of the girls he’s met are only interested in the riches and status that came with being the queen. An arranged marriage would be easier at this point. Ben knew he had to marry to benefit the kingdom and give them a queen and eventually a heir to the throne but he had always hoped like his parents, he would be able to marry for love also. He was losing hope. He opened the drawer of his desk, he was looking for his pen but he came across an old picture of him and Mal when everything was going well. He frowned at the picture then it hit him. She would be the only woman to ever love him for who he was and not for what he has or the status he holds. He needed to find her.

“ Oh Mal, where are you? “