Chapter Ten - Plan A (as they say)

Hello. I'm just gonna give a quick apology and say sorry for the extremely short chapter that I wrote last time. It was short and unnecessary but necessary, if that makes sense.... Anyway, story time.

3 hours. Three. Agonising. Hours. Those hours spent standing and waiting for the maid that I bumped into.

Tap tap. I turn around in excitement hoping that it was the maid I saw yesterday. One look and my excitement plummets down the cliff.

It was a different maid but quite a young one. Probably in her early to mid twenties. She looks at me with confusion and worry.
"Excuse me Miss. May I ask as to why you are down here? Is there something in particular that I can help you with?" The maid asks me her warm brown eyes looking slightly below my eyes trying to avoid eye contact.

"Oh, no that's alright. I'm actually-" My sentence is cut short in realisation that I can ask this maid about the maid from yesterday. Duh, stupid. And because I don't know the maids names, maid from yesterday will be Maid A, and today's, Maid B.

"Actually, I accidentally bumped into a maid down here yesterday, and I made her drop the food she was carrying. I wanted to see if I could see her for a moment? She's not in trouble," I quickly add after seeing B's worried look, "its just I needed to clarify something with her." I explain as briefly as possible so she doesn't get suspicious to what I'm planning.

"Oh that's not a problem Miss. May I ask what she looks like so I can go find her for you?" B's eyes meet mine but she quickly averts them. I explain what she looks like, and after telling me she'll send A up when she finds her, she leave in a hurry, eager to finish her task.

I walk back up to my room and walk in with a surprise to see Skylah, Daniel and Keira sitting in a circle talking in hushed voices, as if planning to rob a bank or something. Knowing them it probably is something along the lines of illegal. "AHEM??!!" I clear my throught and all three heads whip up towards the doorway, which I'm still standing under. "Is this some illuminati meeting? Cos if it is, I want nothing to do with it." After adapting to the human world and meeting Skylah and Keira, they have filled me in with a whole bunch of stuff, including the illuminati, Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings. Some of which are supposedly, quote, "important to have in your basic knowledge."

"Hahaha sorry! We were just planning on what the next move is to find the maid." Skylah says as he attempts to get up. NOTE: he attempts. Skylah ends up doing a backwards roll and crashes into the drawers. Daniel and Keira both go into a fit of laughter both because of the position that Skylah has crashed to and also because of the loud bang that was caused from it, making some of my books fall onto him. As I help him up from his clearly uncomfortable position, I heard a knock on the door and see that it was Maid B.

"S-sorry for the intrusion Miss. But I think I have found my collegue that you were after." she says with her head down and some strands of hair coming out of her bun.

"Well that was fast, how'd that happen?" Daniel asks, with an actual curious tone in his voice.

"While you were playing illuminati, I took matters to my own hands and went looking for the maid."

"Smooth move, I guess the Illuminati meeting wasn't worth it then." Daniel says, walking his way over to stand next to me.

"Um, so is this the maid you were looking for Miss?" Maid B asks as she moves aside to reveal the maid standing behind her. it was definitely the maid that I bumped into yesterday. But for some reason there wasn't the same feeling as I felt the first time I met her.

"You were after me Miss? If it was something I did then please don't tell the Master." the maid starts pleading without me able to answer her.

"No, no! It's not like that. I just wanted to ask you something but I don't know if your the right person...."

"If I can be of any assistance then please don't hesitate to ask Miss! I'll be more then willing to help!" Again the maid pleads before I have the chance to finish.

"Okay." I agree and let the maid inside my room. As I explain my feeling that I got towards her, and the more I explain, she starts to get an anxious look on her face.
And the more I talk to her, the more I'm sure that she's not the maid.

"Well, that's that." I say as I finish explaining. Maid A looks so uncomfortable that it's obvious that she knows something.

"Do you know anything? Because you look really uncomfortable." Leave it to Daniel to be so straightforward.

"W-well, I do know something but it's only a rumour a-and I'm not sure it will help but." the maid stutters. "There is one maid that is rumoured that she used to be a faerie, much like you Miss. It is rumoured that she was the Queen of your land and she was taken away to stop the war. But for some reason the previous Master sent the letter saying that she past away and kept her. but he didn't want anyone to find out that she was the Queen and made her a maid."

I literally froze. The description of that was exactly my mums story. She left to stop the war. She died. Or so they say.

"CAN YOU TAKE ME TO HER?" I grabbed the maids shoulders and shook her hard that her bonnet fell off. And yes the maids here wear bonnets.

"Y-es, yes of course!" She says quickly picking up her bonnet. "She's currently off shift so I can take you to her in the workers quarters."

"Let's go then!!" I think I'm a little over excited. But you know, who wouldn't when they have a hunch that their dead mum is alive.

Daniel, Skylah and Keira stare at me like, what's going on? So I just give them a face saying, just go along with it. Daniel sighs, Skylah shrugs and Keira smiles and we all follow out of my room to head to the workers quarters.

A few notice us and look down in respect and some do a double take. I guess seeing the 'nobles' in the workers quarters was unusual here. Back in Uerotina it wasn't that unusual to have both nobles and workers mingle.

Maid A stops in front of a closed door. "This is her room. Good luck Miss."

"Thank you. You can go now."
She nods and leaves to do whatever she's gonna do. I breath in and out.
"Hey you okay? We can always come back you know?" Daniel says with, surprisingly, a kind voice.
"Yeah, thanks. Okay. I GOT THIS!!" That causes him to jump back.

*knock knock knock* One. Two. Three seconds pass and nothing happens.

*knock knock knock* One. Two. Three seconds pass and nothing happens. Sigh.

"Guess she's not home. Ugh and all this way for nothing." I sigh again out of disappointment.

"Well, it's not a complete loss. at least you found out that there's a possibility that your mum is here." Skylah says trying to lift my mood with his infectious smile.

"Haha thanks Sky." We walk through the workers building and back towards my room in the main building.
We bump into Maid A and we tell her that she wasn't in her room. She nods in understanding and gives us drinks and snacks to bring back to my room. She gives me an encouraging smile and she scurries off.

As we cross the gardens, me holding the tray of snack because some people, aka the boys, don't bother to help.

We cross paths with one of the maids. There it was again. That feeling of recognition. Where have I seen her? Ugh this is too frustrating!! Why can't I FIGURE OU- *GASP! I drop the tray making everything and everyone jump. the tray lands and makes everything scatter onto the concrete.
I turn around to see the maid scurrying over to see what's happened.

"MUM!! Is that really you?"

The maid stops in her tracks and looks at me. Then she gives the one and only smile that I've been missing my whole life.
"Hello Leilah."