Chapter Two - Anything for my people

I reach the central courtyard and slump down next to a tree, staring up at the sky. It was nearing winter in Uerotina. The sky was so white, like the snow on Warlock Peek, there was hardly any blue in it. A wind blew and I shivered. But not from the cold.

Thinking about my mother was pretty hard. My mother was, or is, I don’t know, she was quite beautiful. The role as queen suited her greatly. Many people say I look more like my mum, and I think, you must have hit your head hard. She had chestnut coloured hair that complemented well with her emerald wings, her royal blue eyes that shown against her tanned skin. I on the other hand, boring dark brown hair that made my wings look almost white though its ice blue. And my eyes were amethyst which was common with the faeries. The only thing that we have in common is the fact that we are both tall and have tanned skin.

Most of the time, any thoughts of my mother, I try to push it away. But that was hard now considering the current situation. Why did she leave? Is she still alive? What will happen to me? Will I meet the same fate? What does the General want with me anyway? Will I be tortured? Enslaved? Or worse? Those were the questions that swirled around my head like a tornado, one after the other causing damage by hitting me in the head.

So engulfed in my thoughts that I didn’t realise someone calling my name from behind. I get up and turn to see Zach running towards me.

“What do you mean you’ll, ‘think about it’,” he asks once he was in front of me. “You aren’t seriously going to consider going are you?”

And that’s how our argument started, me trying to say that I have to go and Zach saying I can’t. We both end up yelling our hearts out, not really making sense, which was normal to us but if others were here they would probably look at us like we’re the world class dumbs with brains the size of an ant.

“Why can’t I go? If it’ll save than what choice do I have? It’s all I can do! It’s all there is to do! We can’t keep living like this. If we do than, WE’LL ALL DIE FROM EXHASTION! DON’T YOU GET IT?!” That seemed to shut him up but then he presses on.

“Well what about the Queen, YOUR MUM, might I add? She died within a week after she left! In the human world! WHAT IF THAT- “he stopped mid-sentence after realising what he said. Ouch that hurt. Really hurt. I looked away so he doesn’t see the tears that were staring to form by themselves. I blink them away.

“Sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. I didn’t mean it.” He says while I slide down to the ground and lean against the tree. He follows down after me.

“It’s fine, really. I means I was kind of thinking off the same thing.  But I also have this feeling as if she isn’t dead.” Zach looks at me confused so I explained. “Like. You know before someone dies, and you feel sadness, like it hits you hard in the face?”

He nods and says, “And you cry and then they do die and it hurts even more?”

 I nod this time, “Well I didn’t feel that when my mum died. That feeling never came when the letter came, or before that. I mean of course I felt sad and depressed, my mum died. It’s not like I feel no emotion. I don’t know what I’m saying, I may be wrong. It just doesn’t feel right.”

“Mmhhhmm.” Zach nods. He seemed lost in thought.

Zach had lost both his parents in the battlefield. When they did die, he went on a full on rampage and was like a machine gun. Knocking over humans one by one like dominoes. And when I say knock over, I mean shredding the people into bits, like a blending machine. A legion later he seemed to have calmed down, leaving the rest of the army pretty much scared of him, noting to self never to get on his bad side.

Zach’s father and my mother were like Zach and I, they were the best of childhood friends and stayed that way for most of their lives. They grew up together and did everything together. Since the faeries and werewolves get along like chocolate and biscuits, it was common for us to hang and mingle together. But law states that different races can’t marry or have children together. Having a love life, ay okay! But no marriage, kind of thing. So my mum married my dad, and Zach’s father married another werewolf. The four of them were warriors and to our generation, they were like gods.

Then after all that jazz, they had us two: Zach and Leilah. We grew up and did everything together. There practically was no separating us. Literally. One time my dad got me home schooled, Zach, crazy that he is, actually did a one man rally in front of the palace until I got to go to regular school. And that rally lasted a month.

“I still think it’s a bad idea,” Zach’s voice cuts through my train of thought. I hadn’t realised that I was off in space again. Not this again. “I mean, I’m gonna be a loner.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that comment. “Have you no life? No friends? Seriously?! No one else to hang with but me? Zach, I feel sorry for your werewolf buddies. Oh! The horror!”

“Shut up Leilah I’m being serious!”

“I know me too!” With that he punches my arm. But his massive grin fades when he says, “But there should be another way.” *Ugh! Not this again.

And back to the beginning we go.

I just got too tired to continue. “Why Zach? Why can’t I go? Why?”

“It’s just – “

I cut him off, “Just, what!?”

“Just because… BECAUSE I LOVE YOU OKAY?” he went bright red. Awkward silence and staring. Then he gets up and turns around. “S-sorry, I shouldn’t have…. Um I should go, let you think by yourself.” He starts to walk away back inside. I grab his arm before he can go any further.

“No, don’t go. Please, it’s fine really. And um thanks for what um you said.” Ugh way to make things even more awkward Leilah! Shut up brain!

Zack nods without facing me and starts to walk away again. I hold tighter so he doesn’t slip away and continue talking.

“But you know I would do anything for my people, so I have to go.”

Zach finally turns around then. He looks me straight into my eyes, his face still slightly pink and his lime green eyes sparkle from the sun that decides to come out, finally. “I know.”

I force myself to calm down because some point when he turned around my heart beat increased because, well he looked like an angel. Cliché, I know but he did.

I force a smile, “Will you come with me to tell my father? I ask.

“Of course.” And we both head inside to find my father. 

Authors Notes:

HAAAAAIIIII! Yes I did it! Zach loes Leilah! How cute! 

And yeah......... I don't know how to write an authors note. Its weird. It's like I'm talking to my self. 

Well I guess I'll just say, thanx to all the peeps that read my story. 37 READS! Oh Ma Gawd! What the hell?! 

Okay ojay! Hope you liked this chapter!!! 

Ttyl bro's and happy readin'! Robi :)