Isle Esme

Bella had changed into a sleek crème coloured dress, looking like a classy and sexy CEO, her beautiful chestnut hair let down and now cascaded down her shoulders like a dark vail. She said her farewells to her mother and father, only they didn't know it'd be the last, as Bella had chosen to join me in immortality as soon as the honeymoon was over. I knew it was hard for her to let them go, they were her family, she shouldn't have to say goodbye, to choose me over them. It was one of the many things she'd have to give up in sacrifice for our forever. I felt so selfish, I was loosing nothing whilst she said goodbye to her entire future.

"Are you ready?" I asked her as I escorted her through the crowd of people, who all cheered as we passed. My question had two meanings to it.

"I am," she replied.

Our audience applauded enthusiastically when I paused, kissing Bella on the doorstep. When our lips separated, I hurried her over to the car, moving through the rice raining our way.

The car was decorated with even more flowers that trailed on streamers along it's length, and long gossamer ribbons that were tied to a dozen shoes, dangling behind the bumper. I shielded Bella from the downpour of rice as I held the door open for her to climb in. Then, I quickly hurried over to the drivers side and we were speeding away. Bella waved and called a symphony of "I love you" to our family and friends.

Turning on to the black highway, I took Bella's hand in mine.

"I love you." I told her simply.

"That's why we're here." she quoted me, I leaned in and planted a soft kiss on her hair.

Bella was groggy as I dragged her from terminal to terminal, at each stop she would ask if were had arrived yet, to which I'd tell her it was just a stop a long the way. The journey to Isle Esme was a long one, but entirely worth it. I knew Bella would fall in love with the island once we arrived.

Although she'd slept through most of our journey, her attention was peaked when we arrived at the docks in Rio, she probably didn't expect to be getting on to a boat tonight. Still a little shocked, she climbed wordlessly on to the boat. I could imagine how many questions she had about where we were going, but she did not voice them.

I enjoyed boating, actually I enjoyed any form of human transport which allowed for speed, but it wasn't often that I got to put my excellent boating skills to use. I was thrilled when I hit the gas at top speed as we sped due east off the docks. I couldn't wipe the huge grin off my face.

Curiosity getting the better of her, Bella couldn't help but inquire about where we were headed.

"Are we going much farther?" she asked, a little concerned.

"About another half hour." her hands clutched the edge of her seat with growing anxiety. I laughed at her nervousness, Isle Esme was too small to be placed on most maps. She probably thought I was taking her to the mythical underwater land of Atlantis.

It wasn't long before my eyes made out the silhouette of the island on the horizon.

"Bella, look there." I called, pointing straight ahead. She squinted into the darkness for a few moments, her human eyes still unable to see the island clearly. As we neared, I saw the wonder that painted her face as she finally saw where we were going.

"Where are we?" she asked, her voice just a whisper.

"This is Isle Esme." I answered proudly.

I shifted the boats course slightly, heading to the north end of the island.

"Isle Esme?"

"A gift from Carlisle- Esme offered to let us borrow it." Carlisle had given Esme the island as an anniversary present, some years ago. She loved it of course. It was probably one of her favourite possessions, plus it gave her the chance to decorate. Part of me wished Bella would accept a gift like that. Of course nothing material would ever truly show how much I loved Bella, but I had to admit, there was a certain charm in naming an Island after the one you love.