Vol. 14: Tarzan

//TW: Shipwreck, wild animal attacks, gun violence, ableism (James being autistic), family rejection, poaching, mild gore (describing injuries), and death//
Word Count: 28,461

~Once Upon A Time~

In the late 19th century, off the African coast of the Mediterranean Sea, a ship was going down in flames.

William and Emma Smith were frantically trying to save themselves and their son.

"Get in the boat, get in the boat, you need to go!"

"What about you?!"

"I'll get out, but you need to go!" He pushed his wife toward the lifeboat.

Still a little reluctant, Emma held her child closer to her chest and stepped into the lifeboat.

William shoved it off the edge of the ship, lowering them down into the water, trying to be careful and get them to the water quickly as more of the vessel collapsed around him.

A beam fell, and broke the lever system, sending the lifeboat crashing down against the water. William stumbled backwards, falling out of Emma's line of sight, seemingly eaten by the flaming debris.

"No! William?!"

There wasn't any movement on the boat for a moment, and Emma almost screamed.

William popped up again, standing on the rail of the ship before diving into the water. He surfaced and swam towards the lifeboat. He crawled up onto it, panting and wiping saltwater from his eyes.

Emma let out the breath she'd been holding and surged forward to hug her husband, keeping enough distance to give the baby in her arms space.

William held her close, gingerly kissing the top of her head. "Told you I'd get out..." he whispered.

She laughed breathlessly. "You did..."

He smiled down at her and their son. He cooed, smiling up at his parents.

Emma stroked his hair gently. "What now...?

William looked out at the churning waves. "For now... we stay alive."

"How-"

Lightning cracked through the sky with booming thunder. For half a second they saw something out beyond the waves... land. Huge trees and cliffs, all on dry land.

"Perfect..." William whispered, grabbing the oars.

~~~~~~

By morning light, they'd made it to the shore. The waves beat softly against the sand and the rain had stopped. There were no predators in sight. All seemed calm and safe, but that would only last so long.

"We need shelter," Emma pleaded. "And food."

William nodded. "C'mon. We'll find something, I'm sure."

Emma didn't seem nearly half as confident, but there was nothing left to do but search and try.

They set an urgent pace, but any distance they made seemed minuscule compared to the distance they had yet to go. They hiked up and down hills, weaved through trees and vines, and waded through shallow streams, fighting against the cruel terrain. Along the way, they found several fruits and other potential food sources, but they had no idea what to trust and what to risk, so they passed without investigation, which did not please the hungry infant. A few animal calls echoed through the forest, but no danger revealed itself, so the small family continued their journey undeterred.

~~~~~~

Midday had come and gone, and there was no pause or rest. They hadn't found anything but more jungle, and that would do them no good.