Vol. 19: Lady and The Tramp

//TW: Animal neglect, discussions of euthanasia, animal injury//
Word Count: 17,448

~Once Upon A Time~

In 1909, Marceline, Missouri, it was Christmas Eve. Cool, calm happiness hung in the air, fluttering around the street with the falling snow. Sleigh bells from horse drawn carriages rang through the neighborhood. The trees were bare, their branches sharp and spindly, but the wreaths on every door provided enough green. The night was quiet, despite people celebrating in their homes, offering scraps of music and warmth among the soft crunching of snow in the darkness.

Families feasted, with gifts and goods to spare. But one very special gift was perhaps most important, in a grand manor in the center of the city block, a gift from husband to wife.

"This is for you, Darling. Merry Christmas."

The husband held out a hat box, kissing his wife on the head.

She giggled softly and took the box gently. "Oh, Jim Dear... it's the one I was admiring, isn't it! Trimmed with ribbons?"

He chuckled softly. "Well... it has got a ribbon..."

Before she could remove the lid from the box, the gift inside pushed it off. Inside the box was an American Cocker Spaniel puppy with a red satin bow around its neck, visibly overjoyed to be finally free of the lid.

"Oh- oh, how sweet!"

"Do you like it, Darling?"

"Oh, I love her!" Darling scooped the puppy into her arms and hugged it tight. "What a perfect, beautiful little lady..."

"Erm- right- more of a perfect little lad..."

"Oh- it's a boy?"

"Yes... I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted, but he just looked so lonely in the window..."

"No, no, Dear, I love him! But... hmm... what'll we call him?"

"I don't know..." Jim Dear pet the dog's head. "Maybe... Prince?"

Darling smiled. "Prince is perfect. Our little prince..."

~~~~~~

It had been a few hours, and now it was time for the two to go to bed, along with Prince. The human adults had to go upstairs to their bedroom, of course, but Jim Dear had insisted that they start training the dog as soon as possible, which meant he had to sleep downstairs without them. He hadn't quite caught on to that yet.

"Alright, Prince, come here. Over here."

Prince came bounding into the kitchen, tripping over his own paws. The swinging door didn't deter him for a moment, but when he finally got past it he made the mistake of sitting down, and the door swung forward and hit his behind, sending him across the floor.

Jim Dear's eyes widened, crouching down. He gently picked him up, making sure he was alright. "That didn't hurt too much, did it?" he fretted.

Prince yapped quietly, trying to squirm out of Jim Dear's hold. He was going to show that door who was really in charge... as soon as he was back on the floor.

"No, no, pup. It's time for bed..." he murmured, facing him towards the dog bed. "There you are."

Prince jumped into the wicker dog bed and rolled around, making it his.

"That's a good boy, yes. Nice little bed for you." He pet his head before standing up fully. "Goodnight, Prince. Sleep well."

Darling came into the kitchen and laid a small blanket over the puppy. "Jim Dear, are you sure he'll be warm enough down here?"