Vol. 15: Atlantis- The Lost Empire

//TW: Gun violence (not light, like... lots of gun violence), regular violence, parental loss, shipwreck, mentions of drowning, mentions of massacre, death, and religious and cultural insensitivity//
Word Count: 25, 593

~Once Upon a Time~

In 9,600 BCE, an incredibly advanced city called Atlantis was in danger.

A group of ships was flying as fast as they could back to the city, trying to escape the enormous tidal wave following after them.

They had to warn the people before it was too late.

As the ships entered the city, the people in the watchtowers saw the wave.

"Everyone to the shelters! Everyone to the shelters, now!"

The message was spread through the city, the bellringers letting the citizens know there was no time to lose. As the citizens rushed to evacuate, another threat showed itself. A bright light, similar to a star, sending bright red beams around the city.

The royals were outside, and their guards urged them to hurry. "This way, Your Highnesses, quickly!"

"Kida, come on!" The queen took her son's hand and hurried him along. He dropped his doll, pulling against his mother's grip to get back to it.

"Kida, just leave it! There's no time!" The queen knelt down by her son, holding his hands.

He whimpered and looked sadly over her shoulder, reaching out for the doll again.

"Kida, please, just go-" A beam passed over her, and she didn't move out of the way in time. She turned, hypnotized by whatever was in the beam. It turned blue, and she was lost. Her eyes glowed the same blue as the beam, and it lifted her up into whatever it was, taking her away from her son and her people.

Kida cried out in alarm and reached up for his mother, crying harshly in frustration when he realized he couldn't reach her and pull her down.

"Mom," he screamed. "Mom! Mom!"

His father rushed to him, pulling him farther back into the safe area of the city. "Close your eyes, Kida." He wrapped his arms protectively around him as the sheltered walls around the city rose up, a huge protective dome.

Kida clung to his father, sobbing into his clothes as the wave crashed down over the dome. The central part of the city was safely sinking, but all those who hadn't made it in time...

His father held him close. "I know... just close your eyes, look away... you're safe now..."

"...Are you sure...?" he sniffled.

"I promise." He smiled sadly at his son. "As long as I'm here, you'll be safe."

Kida looked up at him and frowned softly. He reached up and clumsily wiped the tears from his father's face. "You really promise? For sure?"

He smiled, nodding. "For absolutely sure." He wiped his son's tears. "I promise."

Kida hugged him tighter, starting to cry again.

He blinked back his own tears, rubbing his son's back. "I know... I know..."

~~~~~~

11,513 years later...

In Washington, D.C, 1914 AD, Milo Thatch, in the basement of a history museum, was giving a mock presentation to practice before seeing the board.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. First off, I'd like to thank the board for taking the time to hear my proposal." He picked up his pointer, gesturing to a map pinned up behind him. "Now, we all know of the legend of Atlantis. A continent somewhere in the mid-Atlantic, that was home to an advanced civilization, possessing technology far beyond our own." He smiled awkwardly, pushing up his glasses. "That, according to our friend Plato here," He tapped the top of a bust of Plato. "-was suddenly struck by-by some cataclysmic event that sank it to the bottom of the sea." He cleared his throat, adjusting his glasses again. "Now, some of you may ask: why Atlantis?" He pulled up a pile of presentation cards. "It's just a myth, isn't it? Pure fantasy. Well, that is where you'd be wrong." He flipped to the next card. "10,000 years before the Egyptians built the pyramids, Atlantis had electricity, advanced medicine, even the power of flight!"