Vol. 5: Beauty and The Beast

//TW: Harassment, sexual innuendo, stalking, mentions of drinking, offers of murder/violence, wolf attack, mild gore (blood, describing injuries), falling, death//
Word Count: 29,028

~Once Upon A Time~

In 1700s France, a young prince lived in a beautiful castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was selfish and cruel. Then, one night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold.

Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince turned the old woman away, but she warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for true beauty is found within.

When he dismissed her again, the old woman's guise melted away to reveal an enchantress. The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no compassion in his heart, and as punishment, she transformed him into a beast, and placed a powerful spell on the castle.

Ashamed of his monstrous form, the prince hid himself away, an enchanted mirror his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was really an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his twenty-first year. If he could learn to love another, and earn their love in return by the time the last petal fell, the spell would be broken.

If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for eternity.

As the years passed, the castle fell into disrepair, and the prince lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?

~~~~~~

"Beau! Good, you're awake. Could you go into town and get me a bolt if you can find one?" Maurice smiled at his son. "Oh, and bread. We need bread."

Beau smiled back at his father awkwardly. "Ok, Papa. Oh, and I can return the book I just finished!"

"Wonderful. Thank you." He smiled at him, before pulling his goggles back on. "Let me know when you get back!"

Beau grabbed a basket and his finished library book, putting one a blue vest and leaving their small cottage. The cottage was closer to the outskirts of the village, and in the front yard they had a garden and a miniature windmill. Chickens scurried around their patch of land, pecking at the ground.

He walked slowly into the villages keeping his head down unless absolutely necessary. He walked up to the bakery, catching the baker just before he started his rounds.

"Good morning, Beau!"

"Good morning, monsieur. One loaf of bread, please."

"5 euros." He held out his hand for the money.

Beau gave him the specified amount and grabbed a loaf, shoving it in his basket. "Thank you, monsieur."

He just nodded before poking his head in the window. "Marie! The baguettes! Hurry up!"

"Bye..." Beau whispered before slipping off to the library. As he walked through the town, he heard bits of whispers, mostly gossip, mostly about him. He pulled out his book and started rereading to ignore it. He was well accustomed to the path to the library and the words in the book, so he could split his focus between the two without any worry.

Eventually he came upon the library and went inside, closing the book as the bell above the door jingled.

The librarian looked up from where he was reading at his desk. "Beaumont! Back already?" He chuckled softly as he got up to greet his only regular.

Beau smiled warmly. "I'm returning the book I borrowed." He walked over to the shelf and placed the book back in its place. He'd memorized the book placement a long time ago.