Student Showcase

After Hiro visted our college, he was determine to get in and he got to work on an invention for the Student showcase. My friends and I stop in every now and then to see how he was doing. With his Microbots, he's sure to get in. It'll be nice to have another student my age, that doesn't hate my guts like Karmi.

Before we knew it, it was time for the Student Showcase that my Dad attends every year, in case something will catch his eye. He also uses this time to spend time with me, by keeping me by his side through the whole event.

"Dad can I go now, please. My friend about to go on." I said, after I heard Hiro was called on to the stage. "In a minute, (Name)." He told me as he examines a helmet, not even looking at me.

I groan in frustration, getting his attention. "I'm sorry, Sweetie but this showcase is usually the only time I get to spend time with you." He explained kneeling down to my level.

"It wouldn't be if you would take a break every ones in a while." I mumble, looking down. "You know I can't do that." He said, making me turn my head to look across the room, Dad let out a sigh.

"How about this. As soon as I'm done with my latest work. I'll take mouth vacation so we can finally spend time together. Just the two of us." I turn my head to look at Dad hopeful. "You mean it?" I asked him. "I promise." I smiled and tackle him into a hug.

Dad's assistant, tap on his shoulder getting his attention. She pointed to the stage and we look to see Hiro giving his demonstration. "The microbots are controlled with this neural transmitter. I think what I want them to do..." He said as his Microbots make a hand that waves at the audience, Dad stood up amazed.

"They do it. The applications for this tech are limitless. Construction. What used to take teams of people working by hand for months or years, can now be accomplished by one person." He said making a small tower with him on top.

Dad smile, walking to the stage with us following. "And that's just the beginning. How about transportation? Microbots can move anything anywhere, with ease. If you can think it, the microbots can do it. The only limit is your imagination. Microbots!" He said finishing his demonstration just as we reach the stage. "THAT'S MY NEWPHEW!"

Hiro walk off stage to get congratulated by our friends and his brother. "You did it!" Tadashi said, double fist bumping him. "Not bad." Go Go said. "Yeah! You just blew my mind, dude!" Fred told him. "They loved you. That was amazing!" Honey said hugging Hiro.

"Yes." Dad said walking up getting their attention. "With some development, your tech could be revolutionary." He told Hiro. "Alistair krei!" Hiro said amazed. "May I?" Hiro pull out a microbot and hand it to Dad. "Extraordinary. I want your microbots at krei tech." Dad told him. "Shut up." Hiro said, his Juan hanging open.

"Mr. krei is right. Your microbots are an inspired piece of tech. You can continue to develop them, or you can sell them to a man who's only guided by his own self-interest." Professor Callaghan said walking over to us.

I'm not sure what happen between them, they use to be good friends. But all of sudden Callaghan hates my Dad's guts, so much so that he even references to look at me. "Robert, I know how you feel about me, but it shouldn't affect..." Dad started but Callaghan ignore him.

"This is your decision, Hiro. But you should know Mr. krei has cut corners and ignored sound science to get where he is. He's even ignore his own daughter." Callaghan said, finally looking at me for the first time in weeks.

Hiro look at me with wide eyes, mostly likely because he's just found out who my Dad is. "That's just not true." Dad said, turning as he pushes me behind him. Like he was trying to get Callaghan's attention off of me. "I wouldn't trust Krei Tech with your microbots, or anything else." Callaghan said, taking his eyes off me and landing them onto Hiro.

"Hiro, I'm offering you more money than any 14 year old could imagine." Dad told him, keeping his hand on me. Hiro look down thinking it over. "I appreciate the offer, Mr. krei, but they're not for sale."

"I thought you were smarter than that. Robert." Dad said looking at Callaghan one more time, before grabbing my hand and walking away. "Dad." I said pulling my hand free and getting his attention. "That's Hiro." I told him, he look at the Microbot before tossing it to Hiro. "That's right. Come along (Name)."

"I'll see you in class." I said to Hiro making him smile. "Definitely." I ran to catch up with Dad. Little did anyone know after we left, the building caught fire. Professor Callaghan and Tadashi were both kill in the fire.