Chapter 17

The five friends all laughed as they enjoyed their company and enjoyed the fact that Ellie was back. Matt came back with their orders and his face lit up when he saw Ellie. He smiled at Ellie and said to her, "Glad to see you back, El." Ellie laughed and replied, "Matt, you just saw me the other day at the hospital. Nothing has changed since then." Matt chuckled and said, "What I meant was that it's good to see you out and about." Ellie replied, smiling, "I knew what you meant, Matt. I was just kidding." Matt just playfully rolled his eyes and went back to to the kitchen to bring out another order. Ellie turned back to her other friends and noticed that they were staring at her. Ellie looked at them with nervousness and said, "What?" Caroline just smiled and replied, "Nothing, El. It's just been a little quite since you have been gone." Ellie said, "So, what did I really miss? Has Katherine showed up any?" Bonnie shaked her head and replied, "Not since the night you transitioned into a werewolf. It just seems like she's waiting for something and it doesn't feel right." Ellie said, nodding, "I just know that she will confront me one of these days." Tyler turned to Ellie and replied, slightly glaring at Jeremy who sat next to Bonnie, "When she does, we'll be ready for her." Ellie felt a little concerned when she saw how Tyler glared at Jeremy. The lunch went surprisingly well and the friends decided that they should go to the shops around town. Their first store was the pawnshop where they decided to just look around.

Ellie found herself behind a large bookcase that held some books about the history of Mystic Falls. Her eyes landed on a book that had 'prophecies' written on it but it was a little too high for her to reach. She scrunched her face with frustration when she couldn't do things for herself. The teenage girl groaned and whispered, "Great, because of this stupid chair, I can't even reach to get a book." Jeremy heard the sound of someone struggling and turned around the corner, finding Ellie struggling to reach a book. He shaked his head with a smiled and said to Ellie, grabbing the book she was struggling to reach, "Here, let me help." Ellie sighed and replied, taking the book from her best friend, "Thanks, Jer. It's just a pain in the butt that I can't do the simplest of things by myself." Jeremy chuckled and said, "It's just temporary, El." Ellie rolled her eyes and replied, "That's what your aunt said." Jeremy glanced at the book that he grabbed for Ellie and said to her, "What's the book that you were trying to grab?" Ellie took the book from her lap and replied, "It's a book of prophecies. I wanted to see if the prophecy about me was in there and wanted to get more information out of it." Jeremy nodded in understanding and placed his hands on Ellie's wheelchair handles, wheeling her to the front of the shop where they could purchase the book. Caroline, Bonnie, and Tyler noticed that Ellie was purchasing a book and took that a sign that it was time for them to go.

As the group of five drove around town, stopping at few places, Ellie felt the need to go to her mother's grave and that was where they went. Ellie told her friends that she could be by herself for a little bit then sent a text to her father, telling him that they were at the cemetery. She then noticed that her mother's ghost was standing at the edge of the woods and made her way over to her. Victoria sighed sadly at the state of her daughter and said to her, "Oh, my sweetheart. It pains me to see you like this." Ellie replied, smiling softly at her mother, "It's not your fault, Mom. It was Katherine. This was her doing." Victoria growled in anger and said, "If I wasn't in this state, I would kill her with my own bare teeth on my wolf side." Ellie's smile fell and replied, "As much as I want to agree with you, Mom, even Katherine doesn't deserve that fate. Sure, she may come across as a bitch but still. Everyone has a reason for their actions." Victoria's anger disappeared when she heard daughter say that. Ellie sighed and said to her mother, "Mom, do you think I'll get out of this thing?" Victoria smiled and replied, "I know you must've already heard it from others but...." Ellie finished, "It's temporary." Victoria chuckled and said, seeing that Ellie's friends were looking for her, "You better get going. Your friends are looking for you before one of them calls your dad or uncle." Ellie smiled and replied, "You'll still be here, right?" Victoria smiled and said, nodding, "Always, sweetheart." Ellie smiled at her mother then wheeled herself back to the cemetery where her friends smothered her.