Chapter 23

After finding out what Katherine's plot was, Damon and Stefan did everything they could to make sure that Ellie was safe. However, the Mystic Falls Spring Dance was coming up and everyone was preparing to go. Ellie and Jeremy patched things up with their friendship and that ended with Jeremy kissing Ellie. Now, Ellie, Bonnie, Caroline, and Elena were going dress shopping for the dance. Ellie invited Elena because she wanted her three friends to patch things up just like she and Jeremy did. Ellie was looking through a rack of dresses when Elena came up to her. Elena looked through the dresses and said to Ellie, nervously, "Are you sure that this was a good idea? I mean, Caroline and Bonnie blame me for what happened." Ellie smiled softly at her now boyfriend's sister and replied, "It will be fine, Elena. Besides, if they don't, I'll just have Rebekah come over and make them sort it out." Elena smiled and said, "So, how are things going with Jeremy? Heard that you two kissed." Ellie rolled her eyes playfully and replied, "Things are going great. Dad's not happy about it but that's his problem." Elena chuckled and said, "Well, you are his only kid, El. It's natural. So, what dress are you looking for?" Caroline had heard Elena and said to Elena, wrapping her arm around Ellie's shoulders, "Isn't it obvious? Pink." Ellie laughed at Caroline and replied, "What made you think that?" Bonnie came over to her three friends and said to Ellie, "Ellie, your room is pink, your bathroom is pink, most of your clothes are pink, and your favorite color is pink." Ellie replied, feeling slightly offended, "Not all of my clothes are pink. I have some other colors like blue and purple." The three girls continued to look for dresses and tried them on. Ellie came out of the fitting room and stood on the small platform, looking at her dress.

Caroline, Bonnie, and Elena all stared at Ellie's reflection in awe and smiled at each other

Caroline, Bonnie, and Elena all stared at Ellie's reflection in awe and smiled at each other. Ellie turned around to her best friends and said to them, "Well, what do you think?" Elena smiled and replied, "I think Jeremy will go crazy when he sees you." Bonnie nodded in agreement and said to Ellie, "That dress does suit you." Ellie turned to Caroline and said to her, "Well, Caroline? You're the fashionista in this group. What do you think?" Caroline hummed to herself and replied, moving her finger in a circle, "Give me a twirl." Ellie did just that and spun in a circle. Caroline nodded and said, "Yep, that's the dress." Ellie smiled and turned back to look at her reflection. She wondered what her mother would say if only her mother were here. A single tear fell down her cheek as she thought about her mother. Elena noticed this and said to her, concerned, "You okay, El?" Ellie turned to her best friend and replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. I just miss my mom, even though she wasn't around when I grew up." Elena smiled sadly and said, "Well, there's one thing that I can tell you. If your mom were here, she would be proud." Ellie gave Elena a small smile and said to her friends, "I'm gonna go back in the fitting room and get changed. You guys can wait out here and chat." The three girls watched their best friend leave the platform and entered the fitting room to change out of her dress and into her clothes. The three girls sat in an awkward silence before Bonnie cleared her throat to speak up. Bonnie turned to Elena and said to her, "Elena, I want to apologize to you for my past behavior towards you after the incident. It was out of line and unacceptable. I was just angry and worried and took it out on you. You weren't there when it happened and you weren't responsible for what happened. Can you forgive me?" Elena smiled and replied to Bonnie, nodding, "Of course, I forgive you, Bonnie." Bonnie smiled in relief then stepped forward to Elena, bringing her best friend into a hug. The two friends released from the embrace after a couple minutes and Bonnie turned to Caroline, giving her a look. Caroline sighed and said to Elena, "I want to apologize for my behavior to you too, Elena. I was arrogant and took it out on you. Can you forgive me?" Elena smiled and nodded, opening her arms for her friend. The blonde smiled and embraced her friend. From the sidelines, Ellie smiled at the fond scene and nodded. She had done her job.