Chapter 2: Night Fall

Hope

There was something about the night walk through the woods that had me feeling... calm and peaceful. The bright moon guiding me, lighting up my path in front of me as if it was begging to be followed. And that's what I did. Followed. Did as I was told, without a second glance. No hesitation. Just an obedient girl who looked for command from others. Because that's all I've done my whole life. Take orders. But something about this cold winter night had me shaking in my core. Even in my Wolf form I got shivers as the cold wind brushed through my fur. The moonlight so high up, shining brightly... was it's only purpose in this world to light up the paths. Or did it have another purpose. I wondered, did I have a purpose. I looked up at it sitting by the cliff side. I couldn't help but howl loudly: once, twice. I wonder, could the moon even hear me? And if it did, what did my howls mean to it.

**********

"Do you need a hand?" Lizzie walked behind me crossing her arms in amusement. Watching as I struggled to reach a container from the top shelf.

"Does it look like I need your help?" I barked trying to reach with all my might. Even my tippy toes didn't help me grow an inch taller. I planted my feet back on the ground, shaking my hands beside me. I began to jump trying to reach; or at least push it off the edge so I can catch it.

"Do you really want me to answer that or would you like to maintain plausible deniability for later?" Lizzie leaned her side to the cabinet still watching me struggle. After a few more seconds of watching me Hop around like some rabbit she finally grabbed the container for me. "You're so short," she laughed.

"I'm short? Oh my goodness I hadn't noticed! Thank you SO MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW THAT I'M VERTICALLY CHALLENGED— 10 POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR YOU OBSERVANT SHIT" I said above a whisper trying not to disrupt the entire class. We walked back to our table, not paying attention to what the professor was saying. "You know Lizzie, I will tie your fucken shoelace together and you won't even know til it's too late" I smirked at the blond causing her to roll her eyes.

Lizzie Forbes, my best friend, and partner in crime in this annoying jail that people call school. She's a strong witch in the making coming from a very noble family known as the Gemini Coven. She was basically witch royalty as she was set to take over her coven if and when she graduated... that is if she manages to survive the Holy Games. She was strong, there was no doubt in my mind that she'll make it to the finish.

The Holy Games. That's all everyone has been talking about since we got to school this morning. In just a couple of days every supernatural being who is ready for graduation will be placed in an all out tournament of life and death. Only way to graduate and keep your powers is by surviving and making it towards the finish line. If not your powers will be stripped and given to the Champion to enhance their magical abilities and become a noble pure blood. Even if a nobody bumpkin breed won they will automatically be given the title of pure blood, climbing to nobility.

"Aren't you worried" Lizzie brought me out of my thoughts as she poured a few herbs into the canister before pouring boiling water into it.

"About?" I asked. Reading the textbook for the potion I was assigned to do.

"The Holy Games... Penelope told me that every school around the country is training to take you out first" Lizzie placed her magical items on the table and turned to face me. I knew I was being targeted. It was something I've been preparing for since I could walk and fight. Training to survive this death game. They knew I was strong, fearing my family name. They had every right to be. My father was the talk of New Orleans. He was a King, and my mother a Queen.