𝟎𝟑 | 𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

"Brother," with a smile covering her pretty face, Adeline brought Sebastian in for a very overdue hug

"Brother," with a smile covering her pretty face, Adeline brought Sebastian in for a very overdue hug. Her petite, slender hands wrapped around his neck as she kept her actions graceful without trying.

"Sister," fortunate for Sebastian, Adeline did not notice the nervous tone to his voice.

"It's so good to see you Bash. I had not known you were arriving in London until this morning." Adeline pulled away, taking a step back. She held a handful of resentment towards him for never writing or responding to her letters, but she let it go for now, glad he was taking time to visit them.

"It was only decided two weeks ago, dearest Adeline. I thought it would be better to surprise you." He was an excellent liar. But you can't out lie the best liar. Adeline raised an eyebrow at him, unconvinced but didn't pester him anymore as Scott bounded up to him excitedly. She joined her grandfathers side as their father walked up to his oldest son and patted him on the shoulder. 
"It's good to have you back Sebastian."

"It's good to be back, but I'm afraid I will be only staying until the social season is over." He truthfully told them. "Shall we?" He gestured towards the door, motioning for everyone to go inside to speak. Scott ran back to Adeline and grabbed her hand, pulling her along with him as they raced into the sitting room. A large fire had already been started in the fireplace, the flames roaring below the mantle piece. Despite it being summer, the Carrington house hold was quite cold most of the time.

"Gwen," Adeline caught the attention of her maid, smiling brightly at the girl. She waved her over, ignoring the hesitant look on Gwen's face. Gwen was always nervous around the males of the Carrington family, other than Scott, but Adeline always tried to make her feel welcome, after all, Adeline saw Gwen as a sister.

"Sebastian, you remember Gwen Smith, correct?" Adeline reintroduced her brother to her best friend / personal maid.
"Of course, your mother and yourself have always been some of our most loyal and hard workers." Adeline frowned at her brother, his stiff tone detectable. "How is Maria? Still teaching Adeline how to paint?" Sebastian sent his sister a teasingly look, "key work - trying." She tried to use her eyes to signal at him to not say another word, shaking her head gently.

"My mother died a year ago." Gwen imputed, sending him a small smile.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear. She was family after all." Adeline sent Gwen a small smile, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Well, I have to help bring in the tea and cakes. I will see you later Miss Carrington, Mr. Carrington." Gwen bowed her head before walking away.

"So you didn't read my letters either?" Adeline frowned at her brother. He had missed the funeral for Maria Smith, and so she had assumed he was busy but it turns out he had never known, therefore he had not read any of her letters. She walked towards Louise, although hating the older woman she was still inclined (forced) to be polite. 
"Louise, how wonderful to see you again," Adeline lied through her teeth, hugging the blonde girl.

"Adeline, always a pleasure." Louise on the other hand, was a terrible liar. Anyone could have detected the sarcasm in her voice.

"I'm sure it is," Adeline smiled sickly.

"Now... Sebastian, I heard your visiting on business. Dare I ask why this business of yours is far more important than popping home to see your family?" Grandfather asked Sebastian, chuckling as he took his seat in the armchair by the fire.

"I too am curious grandfather. I mean, it must be far more important than visiting us." Adeline was half joking half serious as she took a seat on the sofa opposite her grandfather, just as three servants brought them platters of tea and cakes.

"I'm afraid I feel as if we must wait until dinner to discuss my urgent decision to visit." Sebastian chose his words carefully, thanking Gwen, who handed him a tea cup filled with steaming hot tea. Gwen avoided his eyes on every account, finding the floor much more interesting.

"Gwen dear, why don't you join us?" Grandfather asked the young girl.

"I'm flattered Lord Carrington, however I must decline as I have a list of jobs to finish." Gwen spoke politely at the kind man.
"Oh nonsense, Gwen, I've told you before, as long as your under my roof, you must not need to do as many jobs as you do. You work too hard my dear." Adeline nodded encouragingly at her closest friend, who nodded and thanked the older man. She took a seat beside Adeline who got up to get Gwen a cup of tea herself.

"I must ask brother, Louise is not pregnant is she?" Adeline almost made Sebastian choke on his tea.
"Adeline!" Her father scolded her.

"I'm just asking, you must have had some inkling about it." Adeline shrugged, sitting back down while handing Gwen a cup.

"No, I am not pregnant Adeline. I must inform you that our business here has nothing to do with us but instead-" Before Louise could finish ranting, Sebastian immediately put a stop to what she was about to say, holding a hand up.

"Louise, not now." The blonde girl sat back, a look of pure smugness crossing over her overly powdered face.

"Woof," Adeline muttered under her breath. Gwen tried her hardest to stifle her laugh, knowing most definitely that she had no place to mock the people she saw as superior to her, no matter how much of a bitch they were. Gwen and grandfather were the only two that heard her, other than Louise, who was now glaring in her direction.

Their father then spoke up. "We shall pick up conversation during dinner then my dear boy. We still have much more to catch up on. Starting with America."