𝟎𝟓 | 𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dearest reader, the time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless... tactless mama. Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters. How very perfect indeed.

Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen.

May God have mercy on their souls.

Adeline felt a scoff rise to the back of her throat as her eyes skimmed the words written by the one and only Lady Whistledown.

Lady Whistledown was notoriously known around London as being a modern day gossip girl, who knew everything about everyone. The Carrington's however had managed to escape the clutch of her first paper of the season. They had kept Adeline's involvement under the raps, wanting it to be a shock that the beautiful Carrington was now looking for a husband. Secretly, deep down, Adeline hoped no one would be interested in her. But she knew, without meaning to sound as if her ego was too big, that many men were hungry for her looks. It disgusted her.

"Lady Carrington - you must make haste, you are to meet with the Queen in such a sort amount of time and you are not yet dressed." Gwen hurried over to her, entering the room.

"Nonsense Gwen. I only need slip on a dress." Gwen sighed at her friend's lack of effort. She walked over and took the paper from her hand, placing it onto the dressing table Adeline sat before.

"At least you've done some makeup. But yet you have a smear of oil grease on your cheek." Gwen handed her a white and golden lacy handkerchief Adeline had gifted Gwen a few years ago.

"What would I do with our you Guinevere." Adeline smiled brightly.

"You would manage perfectly fine on your own Adeline. For you can build a grandfather clock - I have never heard of a women being able to do such a thing." Adeline and Gwen both laughed.

"May I come in sister?" Adeline heard Sebastian ask from outside of the door.

"Of course brother." He entered, a large box in hand.
"Ah, good, you are not yet dressed." He walked closer to the girls, handing her the box.