𝟎𝟖 | 𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

"It has been said that, of all bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine. If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth. My name is Lady Whistledown. You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall. But be forewarned, dear reader, I certainly know you."

Adeline read through another one of Lady Whistledown's papers. She was a new author who was unknown to everyone. The papers had been delivered out for free during the past week and people were buzzing to know who Lady Whistledown truly was. None so much as Adeline was keen to investigate the new writer who seemed to know everything about everyone. Her eyes carried on skimming the page, reading about the Featherington's embarrassment in front of the Queen only yesterday. It made her smirk to herself. Lady Featherington was a known for wearing vibrant colours and of course large feathers. Her fashion was awful and she made her three daughters share it too. Penelope Featherington was a friend of Adeline's. They were close in age and had common interests in reading. The only difference was - Adeline was encouraged to do so while Penelope was told that books would confuse her thoughts.

She then came to the part about herself and Daphne Bridgerton.

The two were now known as the season's incomparable. Daphne Bridgerton was named the diamond of the first waters. While Adeline Carrington was said to be the most beautiful gem of them all, with talents no man could live up too. She rolled her eyes despite it being a compliment. It was a compliment she was told too often. Sure, she wasn't complaining about being beautiful - but that's all everyone ever told her other than her family. Everyone found her... odd and peculiar. But as she read further down the page she saw that Lady Whistledown had not just mentioned her beauty.

Will Adeline Carrington finally find a man who is not intimidated by our gem's gracious and most beloved skills in many areas? I hear her violin playing is just as elegant as the grandfather clock's she and Lord Mikaelson are proudly known to make. Can it be that this is the year we will have another splendid Carrington wedding?

She tore her eyes away from the paper as Gwen came into the room.

"Good afternoon Adeline. Have you heard of the new Duke of Hasting's arrival today?" Adeline instantly looked up towards her.
"Simon is back?" She stood up immediately. "Ask for a carriage to be ready Gwen please, I would like to be reunited with our dearest friend. We have much to catch up on."
"Already done my Lady - I requested as soon as I heard the news." Gwen smiled brightly.

"Of course you did," Adeline smiled gleefully. "Let's be off shall we?"

⚜️

"Basset!" Adeline called as she stepped out of the carriage, finding herself in front of Lady Danbury and Simon Basset, the new Duke of Hastings.

"A birdie told me that you are no longer a man free enough to do so ever as he wishes." She teased as he walked towards her quickly.
"Addy-" He picked her up a little, hugging her tightly.

"Put her down this instant you fool, you might drop her." Lady Danbury scolded the man she once raised.

"Lady Danbury-" Adeline squealed excitedly and hugged the older woman.

"Lady Carrington-" she cut her off.

"Adeline. Call me Adeline Danbury." She smiled playfully.
"It might do Adeline some good if someone were to drop her - shake a few of those talents out of her so others can catch up." Adeline laughed loudly at Simon's comment, throwing her head back.
"Ah yes, but you see dear Adeline is to be joining the debutantes this social season." Lady Danbury praised proudly, looking between the two. Lady Danbury had always hoped the two would marry each other. But they both denied that there was anything other than a platonic relationship between them.

"Really? You've finally been persuaded? I thought you were more stubborn than that Addy?" Simon teased her, towering over her.

"Well, I am not so fortunate as a woman Basset - or should I say Hastings now?" She raised an eyebrow, her hands folded behind her back.

"Oh dear god, please never - I may be the Duke of Hastings but I shall forever remain a Basset." Simon groaned.
"You complain at such a high role in society - the old man is dead now, live your life Simon." Lady Danbury instantly scolded the girl's usage of words making Simon laugh behind the older woman's back.
"Lady Carrington-" Gwen came up behind them.

"Guinevere-" Simon smiled at the girl and brought her in for a hug, though he did not pick her up as he had done with Adeline.

"Duke of Hastings." Gwen curtsied when they pulled back.

"Still Simon, Gwen." He smiled down at her.

"The troublesome three united together - I sense trouble and mischief already." Lady Danbury shook her head, amused.

"No need to fret Lady Danbury - Adeline has to be on her best behaviour this year." Simon teased the girl, making her hit him across his chest. "Dear god - I forgot she had a strong punch." The girls all laughed as he groaned, doubling over.

"I would offer you girls to join us for some tea, but I assume Lady Carrington has a ball to prepare for?" Danbury announced. Adeline groaned and threw her head back in a huff, but nodded none the less.
"I suppose so - Sebastian brought dresses back from America. They are much more my style than anything we have here in London." She smiled cheekily.

"And I assume it is he who has convinced you to participate this year?" Danbury asked as the four made their way to the Carrington's carriage.
"I'm afraid so. He came all the way back to London just to tell me I must marry. I believe he is staying until I am either married or social season has ended. I'm praying for the latter." Adeline sighed.

"Then it's a fine thing that you Carrington's are not religious in the slightest." Danbury smirked as Simon helped the two girls into the carriage.

"Didn't you know Danbury? I've been reading the Bible." She lied.

"Liar." Danbury smirked back as they bid goodbye.