XI. Search For The Truth

It was natural that I wouldn't believe her. She barely took a look at me before driving that blade into my thigh. She had done it of her own will.

I pushed away from Raven and glared at her. If you're gonna explain something, do it without lying. I'm sure Raven caught onto my disbelief when she sighed and looked away.

"Look, kid. I'm only here to make sure you don't kill yourself," she says as she sits on the floor again. I sighed in annoyance and stuck my tongue out at her before leaving the room.

That girl cares only for herself.

It isn't long until I find myself outside, walking along the sidewalk. I stared at the floor silently, unable to take my mind off of the situation.

It shouldn't be this way. Will I ever be able to return to my old life?

That's all I wanted at this point. It was obvious at this point that I'd never get that part of my life back.

The only easy way out is-

"Su!" Came that annoying voice. I ignored it and kept walking forward. But... going back to what she told me before. Those three words she spoke in sign language.

I stopped walking as Raven stepped in front of me. I looked up at her with an annoyed expression. I bit my lip and tried to step around her, but she blocked my way.

I tried again.

Same results.

"Su, why won't you let me talk to you," she asked me, looking at me with a certain determination in her eyes. Determination will lead you in a ditch.

I tried to step around her again, but yielded no different results. I sighed and tried to push her out of my way. She pushed me back, making me lose my balance and fall.

I didn't bother getting up and just stared up at the sky. ""Just leave me alone,"" I mouthed to her. Raven shook her head and looked down at me.

"Do you even remember the promise? I did yesterday," Raven says suddenly, making me close my eyes. I do remember. And it's the memory that makes me hate you so much more.

I simply nodded before sitting up, staring at the floor. Once upon a time when my life was as perfect as it could be. And then the unpredictable storm stole everything from me.

It hurts.

There are no second chances.

I sighed and stood up, looking at Raven with a soft expression. My gaze moved from her dark hair that reached the middle of her back, to those dark eyes. Perhaps if I looked into them deep enough, I could escape this horrible society.

This world I'm doomed to live in for the rest of my life.

Raven noticed my unease and looked away nervously. "Are they that interesting?" She asked, looking away still. I tilted my head in question, unsure of what she meant.

Or perhaps I did and refused to admit it.

"You seem to be... entranced by my eyes," she says, toeing at a spot on the sidewalk.

I looked at her and shook my head immediately. 'Why would I be interested in a mean girl like her... in any way.'

Even that was a lie.

Raven blew out a sigh. For what reason, I am unsure. A few silent moments passed between us, both unsure of what to say. Or rather, there was nothing further to say.

"Um... kid," Raven speaks up suddenly, making me look up from the lush grass coating the lawns that the concrete path borders. I tilted my head a bit to the side, wondering what she had to say.

"Faron wants to speak with you. But you can always just... not go anyways," she tells me with a small laugh. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion at that. Under different circumstances, I'd ignore that last part and go there but.

This is Faron we're talking about.

Who knows what'll happen if I go. After all, she's like Raven. Untrustworthy. Mean. Bad. And all the other words that they both are that I cannot so much as force myself to say. Or think, for that matter.

I sighed and looked away, not replying to her statement. When the silence was yet again beginning to become too drawn out, Raven spoke up again. "You aren't... you aren't actually considering it.... are you?"

I simply looked back at her, choosing to keep my thoughts to myself. After all, it's human nature to want to do something. Especially if another tells you otherwise.

And I'm one of those humans.

"Look, kid," Raven says, seemingly regretting having brought up the subject. Her dark eyes growing even darker as she near glared at me.

If that's the case, then why do it anyway?

"Where Faron hangs out is no place for a..." she paused, searching for the right phrase or word to use here. "A naïve and innocent girl such as you." She decided to finish. The words themselves made me flinch, looking away.

I can't help it...

I sighed at that and shook my head in response. If Raven has no problem going to such places, then it should be no problem for me at all.

They say ignorance is bliss, but I say irony serves the same purpose as well.

At this point, I had my mind blindly set on meeting her. Is what I wish to say. In truth, I wanted to know what their deals were. I could easily ask Raven with a few scribbles on a canvas, but I'd rather know from someone else.

And Faron was the only other girl I've been introduced to since I got to the school.

"I've got my own toys anyway. Not like any of them matter."

Faron's words. Just remembering them is enough to make me hesitate. Not because it was made clear that there were others she uses with empty feelings.

No.

It's the second sentence. And it's also the reason I wish to know more about this whole situation. She was implying something else.

Was there something special about me?

Perhaps that was simply wishful thinking. I hate being the way I am. Mute with nothing to give. I glanced up at Raven, who was now walking a few paces ahead of me. Her long silky hair flowing in the slight breeze.

If it weren't for our situation, I'd be completely mesmerized by her beauty. It sucks that its hidden by her sadistic nature. I sighed at that and found that I couldn't look away.

I tilted my head slightly and sped to her side. She looked at me with a slightly sullen expression. Is it that big of a deal to take me to Faron? They seem like rivals... if that were the case...

I shook my head at that, pushing the thought out of my mind before giving a small smile. Raven gave me a questioning look in response to that.

"Why are you grinning like an idiot?" Raven asked bluntly, making me flinch at that. I only smiled wider at that as I stopped walking. "You..." she started before looking away. "What, is this your attempt at cheering me up or somethin'?"

Raven looked completely thrown off when I nodded, validating her words. She frowned at that and hesitated before blowing out a small sigh.

"You really are too caring..." she says before giving me a small smile in return. I looked away at that, my face growing unnaturally warm and fuzzy. "H-hey, kid. You okay?" She asked in a slightly concerned tone.

I covered my face with my hands, letting out a small indiscernible sound.

It was different than before when she saw my blood. It was so beautiful.