Chapter Four

The following morning I woke up from the sun coming streaming through the window and shining in my face making me squeeze my eyes even tighter. This was not how I wanted to wake up for the first day of class. The brightness was annoying and unnecessary. I looked over and forced my eyes open to notice Maria's bed was empty. She must be at Jacob's dorm. Today was one of those days where I just wanted to stay in bed, sleep and ignore the world. That happened a lot these days. Most days I didn't have the energy, the numbness took over; but I didn't mind.

No matter how I tossed and turned, the sun was still shinning in my face so I couldn't get back to sleep. I hated the quiet more than I wanted to stay in bed. Aggravated, I decided to get changed and see if anyone else was up and pretend like today was another normal day for a normal college student. I walked into the common area and over to the kitchen. I grabbed a glass of water and looked around; it was eerily quiet. I looked over at the microwave, where the clock read 6:02 am. I groaned out loud and slid my arms out to either side of the counter until my head hit the cool granite surface. It felt surprisingly nice. My first class doesn't start until 11:00 am.

The quiet was starting to bother me, so I decided to walk around the campus. For the first time, I paid attention to the lobby area of my residence. It was very elegant for a university, with marble floors and a 15foot ceiling. The walls had carved architecture that was delicate and clearly hand done. It looked like something out of a museum. It was a bit much, in my opinion. But all that tuition money has to go somewhere.

I walked around the campus grounds for a while, trying to memorize the layout to occupy my mind, which I felt was nearly impossible. I eventually came to the main entrance for the campus itself. Again, way more luxurious than needed. A long road led up to the main area, where there is a round-a-bout complete with a sculpted fountain in the middle surrounded by water. Lights made the water change colour frequently. It was quite mesmerizing. This area was mostly used for drop-off and pick-ups, but it was also a central point for meeting as everyone knew exactly where it was, 'the fountain' as most knew it.

After staring at the colour changing water, I heard my stomach growl. Apparently, waking up early also makes you hungry earlier; this early morning life wasn't for me. It never was, even before everything happened. I headed in the direction of the main cafeteria, making mental notes of buildings so I could find my way back when I noticed something was wrong.

"Didn't I already pass the library?" I whispered to myself as I retraced my steps in my head. Yep, this is the second time I'm seeing the library today. I looked around, now realizing I was going backwards? I think I was, at least. More importantly, I now had no idea how to find the cafeteria to get food.

"Is this really happening" I looked up at the sky and shouted, letting the brisk wind of the fall air dance around me, calming me down.

"Do you enjoy talking to yourself?" I heard someone shout from behind me.

I swiftly turned around to find Cale walking towards me. His shirt was partly untucked and slightly wrinkled. His hair was a bit dishevelled compared to normal but still perfect looking, with his jacket casually in one arm.

I couldn't help but wonder how he always looked so good, even when he obviously hadn't looked in the mirror this morning. Looking at his appearance, he did not come back to the dorm last night, or he is taking the 'just-got-out-of-bed' look a little too far. I mentally slapped myself for the thought.

"Do you enjoy being a tool?" I challenged.

"Are you talking back to me?" He accused, staring at me with a glint in his eye that I knew all too well. I felt my heart beat a little bit faster, and I couldn't decide how I felt about it.