Chapter Forty-Nine

Hello! Let me start off with saying, I'm sorry. I struggled with this chapter; but I hope you like where it ended up.  Considering this chapter your New Years gift :). Also, thank-you for bearing with me and continuing to support even when I neglect to update. Now, no more talking, on with the story my lovlies!

PS - this chapter jumps back and forth between Sterling and Cale

----

CALE'S POV

I haven't slept. I looked over to the empty side of the bed, imagining Sterling here. She should be here, so why isn't she? I wanted to call her but resisted; if she didn't want to come and work things out, then fine. I wasn't going to beg. I had a bad feeling, and the thought of her and Kent entered my mind.

Kent.

Fucking Kent.

I wanted to call him. But I also didn't want to give him the satisfaction. Part of me also didn't want to know the truth.

I headed downstairs and heard Matt's boisterous laugh coming from the kitchen.

Everyone that stayed over, mainly those from our dorm and a couple of people from the soccer team, sat around the wooden rectangular kitchen table, eating whatever the caterer whipped up for brunch. I took a brief look around, staring through the glass windows behind the table leading to the backyard, and was surprised by how good the place looked, considering the chaos that had happened.

"Morning", Maria said with a smile, putting the attention on me as I started walking towards the table.

I took a seat, ignoring her cheery voice. I could feel Jacob's protective gaze on me as I ignored his girlfriend.

"Where's Sterling then?" Luke chimed in.

"Who cares," I said bitterly, biting a piece of toast.

"She came back here looking for you", Maria stated, with slight worry in her voice.

"I guess she decided to take a detour and fuck someone else." I felt everyone stop instantly, like time was suddenly still.

Maria let out a sigh. "Don't be ridiculous; you know that's not true." She said it calmly like I would listen and be rational, but we all knew that wasn't happening, not after what I found out.

"Really now?" My anger was getting the best of me. "Recently I found out she fucked her bestfriend and lied to me about it! So clearly, she's capable."

"Kent?" Luke piped in and gasped, holding a mimosa like this was an episode of the '"Real Housewives" Why do I even know what that is...

"Yep" I grabbed the mimosa from his hand and gulped it down despite his disapproving look.

"That's irrelivant," Maria said standing and grabbed the now-empty glass forcefully from my hands. "Even if she did..."

"She did." I interrupted. Instinctively Jacob appeared by her side; I know he was trying to look intimidating, but it was almost laughable; I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him.

"Even if it did happen, It didn't happen while you were together, so why do you care."

"She lied," I said through gritted teeth. What is it this woman not understanding?

"And you haven't?" She accused, placing her hands on her hips the way women do when they're trying to prove a point.

"If Sterling is so truthful then why didn't she come back when she told you she was". I mimicked her stance.