Chapter Seventeen

I laid on my bed reading my textbook with Netflix playing in the background, it had been one week since the Halloween party, luckily Cale forgot why he agreed to get into the Uber the next morning so I managed to get away with that one which I was grateful for because I'm not sure what possessed me to say what I did. I'd like to blame the alcohol but I've been drunk multiple time since that night and I never had an inking or temptation to say anything.

All I wanted to do was talk to Kent about what happened. Every time I tried to pick up the phone I remembered we weren't talking. I had to apologize, I was determined to do that today.

"Hi!" Maria barged in said in an overly enthusiastic voice.

I raised an eyebrow at her and looked up from my book. I knew that tone meant she was going to try and convince me to do something. "What do you want?"

"Glad you asked!" I rolled my eyes. "Since you won't give me details about what about at the Halloween party." She paused. "Or What happened with Cale. You have to come out to Club Bijoux tonight." Queue second eye roll. 

I gave her a stern look. "I'll come out tonight if you stop asking. Forever." Truthfully I didn't want to discuss it. How my lapse of judgment caused me to do things I shouldn't. Her "psychology intuition" was giving her other signs, so I gave her a sign with one of my fingers. 

There were also rumours going around about the night Cale and I went to the haunted house. Once Emily found out, that's when rumours really started to spread. Michie was one of the few that didn't believe the rumour that Cale saved me from a flesh-eating werewolf. Michie was more concerned with why I went with Cale in the first place when he found out. Not that he had any right to be upset, we weren't dating. We had one mediocre make-out session and now he thinks he should know what I'm up to. I needed someone to push me back, and he wasn't that guy. He needed someone that would complement his sweet demeanor, and I wasn't that person. I wasn't in the mood to deal with it at the time so I lied and told him it was a prior commitment for project research. I'm not sure if he bought it as still looked a bit hurt, but he didn't press the subject anymore and that's all that mattered. I've seen slugs cuter than Cale's smug face.

Maria continued to stare at me with big doe eyes. "Yes?" I asked slowly.

"Nothing!" She said cheerfully. "We are leaving at ten-thirty! The others are meeting here at nine-thirty for pre-drinks" She skipped to the closet to find an outfit. I couldn't help but shake my head at her with a grin, her upbeat personality was contagious. 

"Sounds marvelous." I shouted toward the closet over sarcastically exaggerating each word. There was something I knew I had to do before I could anywhere, now seemed like as good of time as any.

I sat with my phone in my hand. So far, I've tried five times to call Kent to apologize after I hung up on him last week, and each time I put my phone down and take another drink of champagne. I decided to write him a text instead. See where that leads. I wrote seven different texts and fully deleted all seven of them. Unfortunately, when deleting the eighth one, I accidentally hit send partway through.

"just wanted to sa" is what my fat fingers managed to send.

Smooth, Sterling, just smooth

I threw my head back and closed my eyes, hoping by some miracle he wouldn't receive it. I looked at the message to see what had been sent.

About a minute later, my phone started to vibrate, and I looked down. It was Kent. I debated letting it go to voicemail, but that would make it worse. For once, I had not to be so stubborn.

I answered the phone. "Hi Kent." I was hoping my voice sounded apologetic.

"That was an awfully criptic text." His voice sounded light, which was a good sign.

"Yea, that was my thirteenth attempt to apologize." He remained silent. Waiting.

"I'm Sorry." I said quickly. "I was scared you were still mad and I didn't want to lose you."

"You idiot." He sighed. "I was over it, I just didn't want to call you and have my head bit off again. Figured it was best to wait until you were ready. You've been a bit unstable these last months if you haven't noticed."

"Well...that's fair." I chuckle slightly.

"Although, I do have a confession." I could tell by his tone that this wasn't a simple 'I finished the rest of the orange juice' type confession.

"You finally realise your madly in love with me because I'm just too amazing." I said sarcastically.

"Not exactly. I...uhh...I told Sanna about our hookup."

My mouth dropped "Kent! Why!? We took a vow to never say anything. Ever. Do you know the definition of ever is or do I need to purchase you a dictionary?" I hollered over the phone, exasperated.

"Well...Yes." He started sheepishly. "But I really care for Sanna and I thought she should know now before it comes out later...That and I was a bit mad at you."

I pressed my lips together tightly. "How would she ever find out if we never tell anyone!" I tried to remain calm.

"I know, but I thought she deserved to know. It's a big secret to keep forever." Kent was a good person and didn't like keeping secrets from those closest to him. I did understand where he was coming from, though. He continued. "Good news it she understood and knows that we are just bestfriends. It's great dating a real women."

I chuckled. "You must really like her."

"Yea, I really do." He sounded sweet, like even thinking about her made him melt. "On another note, how's living with the beast going?" Kent asked.

"Sometimes he is not a complete prick." I stated casually.

He laughed. "I missed talking to you."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Look at you being all apologetic, maybe this fresh start is doing good for your stubborn ass. I'm sorry but I have to go, I'm actually in class. but we will talk soon ok?"

"I promise." I said good-bye and hung up.

 I looked over at the clock, 8:34 pm. Guess I should start getting ready.

The others arrived, and I'm not sure entirely how much I had to drink before we left for the club, but it was enough to feel like I could conquer the world.