Chapter Fifteen

It was the day of the Halloween party. Everyone seems to be looking forward to it for different reasons. For some, it was an excuse to dress slutty and not be judged. For others, it was a good excuse for a party and drinks. At the same time, there were a select few that used it as an excuse to watch scary movies with someone. Those that don't enjoy parties use the opportunity to study, knowing that the campus will be fairly quiet as everyone else goes some party off-campus.

Emily, Maria, Jacob and I were getting ready in my dorm drinking champagne. Emily was dressed as a slutty cat that looked more like a rat. To no one's surprise, Maria and Jacob planned a couple's outfit and dressed as cave people. I never cared to get dressed up for Halloween, normally I would create something out of what I already have, and this year was no different. I decided to go dressed as a bat. I attached paper bat ears to a headband and attached wings to my short black dress. I wore lace tights and heels with a bit of bling for fun.

"Ready to go?" Maria asked me as I finished my make-up. I responded with a nod as I placed my headband on my hand for my bat ears and walked out the door. Maria, Jacob, Emily and I took an Uber to the party. We pulled up to the house Luke rented for the night. The house was more of a mansion. Why anyone would rent this out to a bunch of university students is beyond me. We wandered inside to where crowds of people were already gathered. We walked over to the kitchen and Maria made us all drinks. For a sweet girl, she sure knew how to create a strong drink. I chewed on the rim of the red cup, which consisted of a blue liquid of whatever Maria made.

"We're going to go find Luke. You ok?" She said over the music, which was loud enough for a party but not loud enough to disrupt the neighbours. I nodded and downed my drink and they walked away.

"Hey you, with the wings!" A guy yelled. I spun around and pointed at myself. "Me?" I asked as I approached the group playing beer pong.

"Yes you. You look like you can play, you certainly can drink and we are down a person. Want next game?"

I shrugged. "Sure"

I played three rounds of beer pong, losing one and winning two. Since I'm not a fan of beer, we decided to take shots when a ball is sunk. By the end of the third game, there was a crowd. Whenever we sunk a ball, I would dance and high-five my partner, whose name I still don't know. After the third game, I decided to call it quits and went to the kitchen to get another drink when I heard a familiar voice beside me.

"Hey Michie! I'm surprised you managed to find me with all these people." I was in a cheery mood. It must be the alcohol and lack of seeing Cale.

"I'm pretty sure everyone here knows where you are after those games." I looked at his costume. "What are you supposed to be?"

"All the soccer team went as soccer player airplane crash survivors." How original, my subconscious thought as I mentally rolled my eyes. Undoubtedly, the ripped jerseys were an excuse for them to show off their muscles. I had to admit, while Michie wasn't as built as many of the players, he still had muscles.

"I like your costume, very unique." I could tell he had no idea what I was, but he was trying to be nice. I should have gone for something more obvious.

"I'm a bat" I pointed to the bat ears on top of my headband.

He went to touch the ears, and I let out a giggle. What was wrong with me.

"What can I get you. I'll make anything you want."

I shrugged. "Something strong"

He started to collect various alcohol from around the kitchen and made two drinks. He handed me one as he took a sip from the other.