Chapter Ten

I was sitting in the library writing a paper. That's what I told myself at least. Really, I was sitting here scrolling on my phone and pressing ignore whenever my mother called. I was trying to take what my brother said to heart, but I wasn't ready to talk to her. I knew that all she was going to do was try and convince me that I had made a mistake by leaving.

The library was also an excellent place to hide. It was loud enough that my thoughts didn't wander and large enough that I couldn't be found easily. If I felt like there was a chance I would be left alone with Cale I would come here.

As I was scrolling through my phone, it started to vibrate again. I pressed ignore. 

I looked up at the ceiling and sighed heavily.

"Are you still hiding?" I recognized the overly cheerful voice of Maria.

Not very well. I thought to myself. How did she even find me?

"I'm not hiding, I'm studying." I gestured to my computer and textbook spread out in front of me.

"You know what I mean." She said knowingly and sat in the empty seat across from me.

"You can't hide from him forever, you will run into him in class on Monday."

"I'm not hiding from Cale." I was, but not for the reasons I originally thought. Truthfully, I was confused, I felt these weird feelings towards him that I wasn't ready to explore and questions I wasn't ready to answer.

"You tell yourself that." Maria stated with a raised eyebrow. I knew she wasn't stupid enough to believe that, but I also wasn't in the mood for any of her psychology minor bullshit today. Before she started to analyze me and confirm the truth she was clearly already suspicious of, I needed to leave.

"Well, now I'm going to hide from you and go for a walk before it gets too dark."

"Do you want me to bring your stuff back to the dorm? Might be hard to go for a walk when you're lugging a laptop around" I hated how observant she always was. She had a pure heart, which made it hard to be annoyed with her.

I smiled slightly. "You're not just a pretty face. That'd be great. Thanks." I packed up my stuff and handed my stuff to Maria before standing up to leave.

"Cale said he is going out tonight so you should be able to easily hide out for the rest of the night after your walk."

"With who?" I asked instinctively and instantly regretted it.

"I don't know" Maria stated slowly. "Not Laynie if that's what you're wondering." She said curiously, trying to put the pieces together.

"Not it wasn't, and I don't care for the record. I'm just...curious...and I'm not hiding." I finished before finding my way to the exit of the library.

I continued to walk the grounds for what felt like hours. It was getting dark and my feet were starting to get cold from the dew on the grass. These shoes weren't exactly meant for long walks, but they were cute. I decided to turn back before my legs turned to jello. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a figure at the other end of the field. I squinted, hoping to recognize who it was, but it was now too dark to tell by this point. From the stature it looked like a male figure. He was wearing a hoodie that covered most of his face, especially in the fading daylight. He was just standing there, feet slightly spread apart and hands by his side. It was unnerving and made me feel uncomfortable.

I turned around and started to head back towards the dorm when an eerie feeling came over me. I turned around to where the figure was noticed he was walking in the same direction as me, he stopped when I turned around.

"Who are you?!" I shouted across the field. I had seen enough horror movies to know that I shouldn't try to talk to the creepy figure. I took a deep breath in an attempt to slow my now panicked breathing.

"It's ok." I said to myself. "You're simply going crazy from too many scary movies. It's just a creepy person, no big deal. Probably harmless." I took another breath and started to run towards the dorms as fast as my legs could carry me.

While still running, I glanced behind me and noticed the figure was also running, the figure was also gaining ground on me and I swore under my breathe, "Come on feet, if I survive this I promise to go to the gym." I closed my eyes, hoping when I opened them again and magically be at the dorms.

Instead, I came to a halt and fell to the ground. I figured this was the end. Life knew my gym promise was a lie. I kept my eyes closed tightly as I felt around for anything on the ground I could use to defend myself. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" I opened my eyes and looked up to see Cale towering over me and looking at me with a confused yet amused expression on his face. On a regular day this voice would be torture to listen to, but right now I was grateful to hear it. I immediately jumped up and looked behind me, the figure was gone.

"I.....uhh...." I Stuttered, wondering if I had just imagined everything. I continued to look around but saw no sign of the person that was just chasing me. I looked back at Cale.

"Were you just chasing me?" The words sounded ridiculous coming out of my mouth.

"No, you dimwit, I was walking and you came crashing into me. I have better things to do than chase you around a field."

"Doubt it." I said under my breath. I looked back at him.

He shook his head and started to walk away.

Are you heading back to the dorms?" I blurted out. For once, I openly wanted to be going the same direction as him. That way, if the hooded figure was planning on bashing my skull in, I could use Cale as bait and hopefully get away.

"No." He answered, pulling me back from my fantasy. "As you can see I'm heading away from the dorms and heading to that Uber that you can see infront of us." He pointed in the direction of an Uber waiting by the fountain. I finally took in my surroundings and realized I was at the edge of the main campus. I must have been running for a while.

Cale took another step towards the Uber and was about to open the door. The only thing I knew at this moment was I was not about to walk anywhere alone, especially in the darkness which has now taken over.

"Can I come with you?" I called out desperatly. I wasn't sure if I was controlling the words that were coming out of my mouth as they surprised both of us as Cale looked at me quizzically.

"Seriously?" He responded slowly as if waiting for the punch line of a joke.

"Yea, I mean, you owe me that much after the other day." He thought about it for a second. He would know that I was referring to the incident in class when he tried to air out my secrets in public. Luckily no one really spoke about what happened directly and I didn't know why. I pushed the thought out of my mind for now. In this moment I had more important things to worry about.

"Does this mean your no longer hiding from me?"

"I wasn't hiding." I mumbled and crossed my arms.

He rolled his eyes and gestured to to the Uber. "Get in before I change my mind."

I sighed in relief and hurried to the vehicle as if my life depended on it.

(Who do you think the hooded figure was? Any guesses. I would love to hear your theories. I would also love a vote...no pressure...well maybe a little hehe).