Chapter Eighteen

We took Ubers to the club, and before I was even through the door, I could hear the base of the music and see the lights through the open entrance door, and I couldn't help but smile. When I reached inside, I closed my eyes and felt the base of the music inside of my chest, a feeling that reminded me that my heart is beating and I'm alive. After my sister died, I went to the clubs solely for this feeling, and I forgot how much I missed it.

Bijoux was becoming busy. The music was loud, and the lights were flashing in all directions. If you were prone to seizures, this was not the place to be. I opened my eyes and managed to spot Cale talking to Blondie at one of the bars. She was hanging off him like a koala bear, who thought his neck was a eucalyptus leaf. Except Koala's are cute and have more personality. 

"I'm going to go get a drink." I yelled over the music to Maria.

"We're going to go dance, meet us on the dance floor when your done." She took Emily's hand and headed off. Emily gave me an odd look. I refrained from tripping her.

I walked up to the bar opposite of where Cale was, and a handsome bartender approached me.

It took me a second before I recognized him. "Michie?" I asked, surprised. "I didn't know you worked here!"

"Surprise, I figured everyone loves a man in a uniform." He winked at me. Apparently, at work, he has game. Girls were clearly waiting at the bar for him to serve them.

I smirked. All the guys wore a black button-up shirt with white suspenders that glowed under the blacklight. His sleeves were casually rolled up, and his shirt was tucked into blank fitted pants. Everything was pulled together with a simple black leather belt with a silver buckle. I bit my lip slightly. I had to admit. He looked good.

"You look good in a uniform." The pre-drinks were making me feel confident.

"Well I think you've clearly won the award for he prettiest girl here tonight. So drinks on the house."

"Does that line normally work?" I asked, giving a seductive smile.

"Typically yes. It a good opportunity to put my business skills to use. But I have a feeling you hear those comments on a daily basis so they probably don't have the same effect on you." I'm not sure if it was my alcohol senses speaking, but Michie was definitely on fire tonight.

"I am capable of buying my own drinks."

"I know." He shrugged. "But as a manager I have free drink discretion so it's really no biggie."

"In that case, I'll take a double of something expensive and some sort of pretty looking shot."

He nodded and went to work, throwing the shaker around and catching it effortlessly. A few minutes later, he places a beautiful multi-coloured shot in front of me along with a large orange drink. I did an air cheer and took a long sip.

"So what's your favourite food." Michie asked, leaning on the bar ignoring the girls trying to catch his attention.

"uhh. That's a good question. I love tacos and pico de gallo with lime tortilla chips. Sometimes I like salads but it needs to have a lime dressing. Sounds like I have an obsession with limes, but I don't. Oh! and Chinese food is good too cause I like variety." I'm sure he was looking for a simple answer, but y alcohol brain said otherwise. Michie laughed, clearly not expected my long-winded answer about food. I noticed his face fall slightly, and that's when I felt a presence beside me. It didn't take a genius to figure out who that wonderful smelling cologne belonged to. Again, definitely, the alcohol brain talking.

"What did you forget your wallet again? so you have to sell yourself out to the bartender?"

"No Cale, some of us are nice people and like to do nice things for others. They don't assume the world revolves around them." I replied without looking at him.

"Well in that case, did you want to be nice and buy me a drink?" He smirked, knowing it would wind me up. Normally, I might be able to let it go, but the alcohol has officially made that impossible.

"Why don't you be nice and go the fuck away." I turned to look at him. He wore dark jeans and a burgundy shirt that let you know he had muscles underneath without giving too much away. However, it shows off his arm muscles. Even in the dark, I could see that the shirt made his eyes look more blue. He knew I was staring and smirked at me, I smirked back, accepting the challenge.

I had to focus. Sober Sterling would have a smart ass comeback, so just when I was about to open my mouth to retort, Michie interrupted. "Cale, buddy, come on lay off." He did not succeed at sounding threatening.

"Oh here we go." I mumbled to myself, knowing this was going to set Cale off. Sometimes it scares me how well I know him.

"Why don't you try and find someone a little more in your league." Cale said with a successful glare.

I saw Michie lean in, and I knew it was time to intervene before Michie got hurt. Luckily there was already a barrier of a bar between them.

"Ok, Mr. testosterone, settle down." I put a hand on Cale's chest to push him back, but he continued to look ahead at Michie. "Please. Calm down." I said in a soft tone. I saw Cale's eyes flicker to mine for a second, and his breathing slowed. Without another word, he walked away to the other side of the bar where Blondie was waiting.

I let out a sigh a took my shot in one swift swoop. It tasted like a creamsicle.

"You must be a saint. I've never seen anyone be able to calm him down once he gets on a war path."

I shrugged. "I just...I know how he works." I looked over and saw him with Blondie. I still really disliked her, and I wasn't sure why.

"Sterling, Hello?"

"Huh?" I looked up, startled, and saw Michie staring at me. Multitasking wasn't my best skill on a good day, nevermind after I've been drinking. "Yea, sounds great." I said, hoping that answer worked with whatever words just came out of his mouth.

"Really?" He said a little too enthusiastically.

Shit, what did he say? Why does he sound excited?

"Yea." I said, not wanting to get caught for not paying attention. Admitting the truth would have been easier, but my brain wasn't sober enough to think rationally.

"Great, next Saturday it is then."

fuck

"Sure." I smiled, and thankfully, we were interrupted before I could put my foot in my mouth anymore. Unfortunately, that person was Emily.

"Matt was puking and got kicked out. He can't go back on his own. Did you want to be a good friend and volunteer?"

"I'm sorry, I forgot the world revolved around you. How silly of me." She was like a box of diapers, self-absorbed and full of shit.

I thought about it and realized I did wanted an excuse to get away from this conversation before I got myself into more trouble. And seeing Cale make out with Blondie was making me nauseous.

"Yea, I'll go back with him. But." I aggerated the word on my tongue. "Not because you asked me to." 

"Thanks girl, you're the best." I could tell her smile was insincere. 

"Don't say things you don't mean." I added as she walked away. I'm not sure if she heard me over the music though. I apologetically looked at Michie and walked towards the exit so the drunk could take care of the drunker.