Chapter 7: Nevils Guide to Flying

"Good afternoon class" The yellow eyed quituch coach said as she made her way past us.

"Good afternoon Madam Hooch." We replied in sync, As she fixed her gloves.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson!" She said with a smile.

I was practically glowing with excitement, I would finally learn how to ride a broom. I had stolen a few of the Slytherins before just to try it out and watch the sunrise once or twice. But I didn't really know how to ride one, I just kinda hovered above the castle, But I was optimistic. Almost everything else I had done here at Hogwarts I was able to pick up rather quickly, So this shouldn't be too hard.

"Well what are you all waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick, Stick your right hand out over the broom, and say up."

"UP." We all said in semi unison.

Harry's broom flew into his hand almost instantly, mine on the other hand did not.

"Up." I say again with a little bit of a harsher tone but the broom didn't budge. More students now had their brooms in hand. Rons broom came up and hit him in the nose, which was the only part of this oh so confusing task that was enjoyable. "Having trouble there Riddle?" Draco asked with a sneer as he watched my failure with an amused smile, his broom in hand. "Not as much as you'll be in when I find you later Malfot." I spat before going back to my broom. I heard Ron and Harry snicker at Malfoys reaction but I was too focused on the bloody broom to care.

"Allright, once you get a hold of your broom, I want you to mount it." Madam Hooch said, causing me to panic.

"Get your ass up here or I will burn you." I threatened in a hushed voice, and to my surprise it worked. The broom flew right into my hand. Well at least that worked.

"When I blow my whistle I want each of you to kick up off the ground hard, keep your broom steady, hover for a moment, lean forward slightly, then touch back down." Madam Hooch explained before counting down from three, But she never got to one. Nevil had taken flight on two, and I think he was the most surprised out of all of us.

Manam Hooche's genius response to this was telling the boy to come back down; which he obviously didn't know how to do. Nevil went zooming up and down left and right, he hit the castle walls and almost got his neck sliced by a stone statue on the roof. Then as he was flying over, his robes got caught on one of the stone statues causing him to fall off his broom and just dangle three stories up in the air.  And for a moment I thought it was safer. I mean he wasn't wheezing around, and that meant the teacher could find a safe way to get him down. Then I heard fabric ripping. "God damn it." I mumble before pulling out my wand. "Molliare Maxima." I say loudly just as Nevil begins to fall. I got a few weird looks from my classmates but as Nevil was about to hit the ground a few of them figured out what I had done. You see the charm I placed on him was the Cushioning Charm which was intended more to make seats more comfortable but I made a few modifications to it so it created a small landing pad.  "Everyone out of the way." Madam Hooch said, almost running me over. "What spell was that!" Hermonie asked pulling me away from the injured boy,  "Molliare Maxima, it's the cushioning charm... but bigger." I explain causing her to nod. "You're an experimental witch aren't you!" She said pointing a finger at me. "A what? I'm pretty sure I'm the same type of witch as your Hermonie." I say awkwardly. "It's not a type of witch, it means you like to test out new magic and make your own modifications to spells and things." She explained. "Well then sorta..." I say feeling a little uncomfortable with all her pointing.  "Most end up dead you know." Hermonie said, looking like she was going to tell me more but was interrupted by Madam Hooch informing us that she was going to take Nevil to the hospital wing and that if anyone flew on their broomstick they would be expelled. Before helping the poor boy to the hospital wing, but thanks to the spell he seemed to only have a sprained wrist.