3

It didn't dawn on Phoebe just how daunting it might be to ask a gentleman to dance. It wasn't that she couldn't do it, or that a lady shouldn't, no that didn't matter. The simple fact of asking was the challenge.

The Bridgerton's were family friends, if one could say that. Penelope and Phoebe were welcomed, the rest of the Featherington's were tolerated. Phoebe took great pride in being invited to dinners and spending time in the gorgeous home. The Bridgerton clan were simply the kindest souls in the whole ton, no doubt about it.

As kind as they were, they also had their flaws. Phoebe was well aware that Violet Bridgerton's patience with her eldest son was wearing awfully thin. The fact that the Viscount had not found a wife yet was driving the poor Lady Bridgerton to make a list of suitable potential wives. The Viscount would no doubt find a flaw with each and remain, from mutterings Phoebe had heard around the ton, a rake.

Then there was Eloise, the fifth Bridgerton child, who cared not to be married. She found the whole idea dreadful. She would give her sister Daphne many awful remarks about how boring it would be to stay at home and do nothing but sit, play the pianoforte, and care for children. Children, for Eloise, was entirely off the table. With the size of her family, she had seen enough of everything relating to children to last her whole life. Besides, she was far too invested in her education to bother with marriage.

The rest of the Bridgerton's had their flaws as well. It reminded Phoebe that even the most perfect family, is not at all perfect. This reminder came as she was very near to a Mr. Colin Bridgerton.

Standing between his elder brother, Benedict, and his mother, the third Bridgerton son was engrossed in a conversation with the two. Phoebe hated to interrupt but she was too close to back out now. Doing so would surely be an embarrassment if anyone saw her change her course.

Taking a deep breath, she proceeded to the small group. Benedict saw her petite figure approaching and gave her a kind half smile, not showing his teeth. "Miss Featherington. To what do we owe the pleasure of your presence?"

Violet and Colin turned to see the young woman give a small but silent chuckle. Sidling up to Violet, she whispered, "May I steal Colin for a moment?"

The Viscountess gazed down at the young woman and for the 37th time wondered how on earth she was related to Portia. Dark auburn hair, not fiery red. Petite frame, not broad. Kind green eyes and a welcoming air about her. Surely this woman was a cousin or something similar. A small smile adorned her face as she lightly grabbed Colin's left arm and gave a tug. "Of course, my dear." Colin seemed confused but did not stop his mother from pulling him towards the Featherington girl. "But please return him to me when you are finished. We can't have him married off before his brother now."

The teasing tone of his mother's voice made Colin raise an eyebrow. "Now, now. What is going on?" Turning to Phoebe, he cocked his head to the side, "Where are you taking me Miss Featherington?" The glint in his eye made Phoebe's heart skip. She could definitely see how his charming ways had Penelope fawning over him.

The right side of Phoebe's lips pulled upwards, not giving in to him just yet. Realizing he wouldn't be receiving an answer that easily, Colin sighed and offered Phoebe his arm. She gave a polite nod to Lady Bridgerton and wrapped her gloved hand around his forearm.

She could hear Benedict's inquisitive voice as she led the way but she paid no mind. Colin was a good man, a year or so older than her. A kind and caring gentleman who enjoyed traveling. He was quite good at singing, something Phoebe was greatly jealous of. He would make an excellent husband for a lucky lady one day.

Once the pair were a few feet away, Colin leaned down to be more near the woman's ear. "You know, when you arrived, there were quite a few gentlemen that were entranced." Phoebe had to hold her left hand to her mouth to stop from scoffing out loud. Her eyes instantly found Colin's, searching for that playful glint from before. She failed in her search.

Frowning, she pulled him back down closer to her. "What are you on about?"

It was his turn to scoff. He shook his head slightly as his gaze returned to the dance floor. "Miss Phoebe, you have no idea what you do to those around you." A gentle smile played at his lips and, as confused as she was, she couldn't help but smile back. "I believe you asked for my attention, how can I be of service to you, Miss Featherington?"

Ignoring his previous comments was easier than attempting to decipher them at this time. "Well," she muttered, staring at the section of Colin's suit where his vest met his coat. "You know how my mother is..."

"Hmm, yes. I am quite familiar." The playful attitude of his had returned and Phoebe couldn't stop herself from smiling. "Should I add unfortunately?" He sent a wink down at her and she rolled her eyes, fighting the growing smile.

"She made me promise to converse with three potential suitors and dance with one." It felt like the longest explanation in the world. Once she got it off her chest, however, she felt more free. Glancing up to meet his dark eyes, Phoebe was unsure how Colin would react. She hoped he would understand her position and accommodate her. At the same time, she could understand if he were to feel used by her. Which was never her intention for him to feel but was not completely a false statement.

"I see. And which, may I ask, am I to be?" He continued leading the way to the dance floor. Try as he might to avoid her gaze, he failed and found himself lost in wide, bright green eyes. "Because, Miss Featherington, I am not a man to simply be used."

Phoebe shook her head. She was almost certain that he was teasing. Almost. "Of course not." She objected, placing her other gloved hand lightly on the same arm she was holding with her right. This made Colin turn to fully face her. Being this close to the gentleman, she could tell just how much he had grown recently. He was clearly over 6 feet, shoulders broader than she remembered, pieces of stubble on his face from where he had missed while shaving. Surely this wasn't the same Bridgerton boy that she had grown up with.

"Of course not," she repeated. Attempting to regain her composure, she forced a small smile. "I was merely wondering if you would perhaps spare me the torture of waltzing with an elderly stranger?" She felt her chest tighten as she waited for his reaction.

The corners of the gentleman's lips curled ever so slightly. Reaching with his right hand, he gently moved a stray piece of auburn hair behind her shoulder. The feeling sent chills down Phoebe's back. She fought the voice inside of her telling her to back up and leave. She couldn't, she would be reprimanded and never hear the end of how her family was a laughing stock.

Besides, part of her didn't want to leave. A small part of her enjoyed the rush that simple touch of her hair gave her. Maybe she was dehydrated, maybe her corset was a bit too tight, maybe she was perfectly fine. Regardless, she knew she wanted to dance with Mr. Colin Bridgerton tonight.

"I would be honored to dance with you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello readers!

I hope you enjoy the latest chapter with dear Phoebe.  Things finally are picking up and I promise things will become much more interesting!

I want to say thank you so much! I appreciate every single comment, vote, and read! Please be sure to continue to do so!