16

Enjoy the day, pfft. She would be having a much more enjoyable time if her mind was not consumed by the condescending words of the eldest Bridgerton. Alone in a small boat, Phoebe and Nathaniel drifted towards the middle of the crystal lake. On the shore, she watched as Penelope and her mama conversed with other mamas and their eligible daughters, surely discussing the arrival of this intriguing young man sat across from her. She wished she could enjoy her time, this man has many stories of travel and has excellent manners, however, much to her disgust, she continued to find her mind plagued by the condition of that rude other man.

"I have a proposition for you, Miss Featherington." She was pulled from her thoughts as if from the deep end of a ravine. Her glossy eyes cleared and found the warm gaze of Nathaniel looking back at her.

"I'm sorry?" she spluttered. Surely she had not heard him correctly.

He chuckled. "I am well aware that you are not interested in my advances, a blind man could see that." Phoebe relaxed a bit, then why had she been asked here? "I am, however, bored and quite enjoy the show when you are near Viscount Bridgerton." Her brows furrowed and her mouth opened to intervene but she was cut off with a delicate finger. "It does not matter to me if you and the Viscount are interested in each other or not. Yet, I can tell that there is some history between the two of you that is yet to be settled."

The young woman crossed her arms and glanced across the lake. Who was this man to come waltzing in and assume anything of her and her past? She was tempted to put him in his place, tell him off and that this was none of his business, command he never speaks to her again, but her curiosity got the best of her. As it always does. After taking a deep breath, she returned her attention to the nosy gentleman. "What is it you are offering, Lord Balfour?"

Another warm and comforting chuckle as he glanced towards the shore. When he was certain no one would be paying them any mind, he reached across and gently held her hand. "I would very much like to entertain the Ton, your mama, and that old Viscount, by creating a false courtship with you."

Tingles shot up her arm and nearly made her shiver. As strange of a request as it might seem, it also seems entirely thrilling. A false relationship? "Interesting offer. Why?"

He smoothed his thumb over the top of her hand twice before leaning back and grabbing the ores. He began paddling closer towards the shore. This must mean there is a time frame for her answer. A brief flash of panic must have crossed her face as he reassured her: "Miss Featherington, I have my eyes set on someone else and would enjoy getting closer to them without the constraints of a potential romantic relationship. Through this agreement, we would both be getting what we want. You: more time with the dreadful Viscount Bridgerton. Honestly, besides his charming good looks, I'm not sure what else you see in him. Me: as I've said, there is another Bridgerton who has caught my eye."

This admission caused Phoebe to gape rather unlady like at the man and lean forward, placing her chin onto the palm of her hand. "I beg your pardon. Who might that be?"

The gentleman cocked an eyebrow and scoffed cheekily. "That my dear, is something you might become privy to if you accept my proposition."

Phoebe sat back and crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow at the calculating visitor in front of her. "How long would this false courtship last? What if the ruse does not fool anyone? What makes you think I have any desire to win the heart of the most arrogant Bridgerton? What if it goes too far? What if -"

"Goodness, Featherington!" the bronze man hushed her. "We are nearing your mama and the nosy Ton. We can handle the what ifs when and if they arrive. You worry far too much." He steered the small boat closer to the shore.