9

How do you promenade with a gentleman?

How do you engage in conversation?

What do you do with your hands?

Phoebe's mind was racing as she led the way out of the Featherington home and into the embrace of the warm sunshine. She had only gone on promenades with Eloise and Penelope and, the more she thought of it, it seemed completely wrong to call chatting while walking with a friend a proper promenade. So she decided to consider this her first real promenade experience, which is bound to be a disaster.

There was a deep clearing of a throat behind her and goosebumps popped up along her arms. Clasping her hands together behind her back and turning around, she fought to keep a smile on her face. All she wanted to do was stare into his lovely eyes but that would be insanity. Instead she decided to see why they were promenading.

"My lord, to what do I owe this unexpected visit?"

Anthony stepped forward in order to better hear her faint voice, but glad that the voice was speaking to him, and began leading the way around. One hand rested where his jacket connected at the button, the other was in his pocket. He chanced a quick glance at the auburn haired woman to his right and gave a slight shrug. The hint of a smirk danced across his lips. "We wanted to see how you were after -" He searched for the right words but upon seeing her nod, he knew she did not need to hear him mention it.

The small bite of her lip nearly drove him mad. After distracting himself during the night with a rather pretty opera singer, it dawned on him that he could not go another day without checking on the mental state of the woman who ran from his dolt of a brother the previous night.

"Besides," the Viscount continued, turning to the left and hearing his brother, Penelope, and their chaperones behind them. "I had already seen to Daphne's callers and dismissed nearly all of them at the mere sight of their pompous faces." What seemed to be something between a laugh and a choke caught him by surprise and he turned to see Phoebe hiding her mouth with her hand. A thin but sincere smile fell upon his lips. He wished he could make her laugh more often. The sound, however strange, was music to his ears.

"So," she cleared her throat softly before adding, "it seems as though Daphne had no luck with any callers?"

Her inquiry caught him off guard. Raising a thick brow, "No luck? Did you not hear that I dismissed the men that arrived to our home this morning?" He knew this woman was not dim witted, rather the contrary. She was brilliant and he wished she would share her thoughts with the world all the more.

Her silence was a sudden thing. The quickness of it all was the most shocking part of her silence. He was glad to hear that she is not silent any longer, merely quiet and reserved in her engagements. He felt a small amount of pride and honor in being one of the few who was lucky enough to converse with Phoebe Featherington.

A slight nod of her head and a curl of her lip told him that he was misunderstanding something. "What is it?"

Shaking her head and releasing a chuckle, she turned her attention back to the path ahead of them. There were many families milling about, going for strolls or sitting on the beautifully well kept lawn. Most of their eyes were on the strange foursome, and their chaperones, promenading about the ton. "A big brother, ever on guard when it comes to his younger sister."

For a brief moment, her eyes glazed over as she remembered her beloved Phineas. He cared for his sisters incredibly, even when they did not deserve it. Rejoining her present time, she understood exactly why Anthony was behaving in the way he was. He was protecting his sister from those who were inferior to her. Her kind nature, loving demeanor, nurturing instincts, and understanding of others was far too valuable to be wed to some Neanderthal of a man.

"Should I give my sister to the first scoundrel who proposes? Should I not first make sure she would be provided for and that the man is not a liar, a cheat, or a rake?" The pleasant stroll was quickly turned tense. The Viscount struggled to maintain his composure. Surely she was not suggesting that Daphne marry one of the lovely chaps that had called this morning? Some owed money, some had a mistress, some were sniveling, some were sure to annoy the Bridgertons for the rest of their lives.

The agitation was thick in his voice and Phoebe restrained herself from reaching out and touching his arm to calm him. Even with Colin and Penelope and their chaperones, surely that slightest touch would be seen as scandalous. Instead, a small shake of her head followed by, "Of course, my Lord. I did not mean anything of the sort." Her hands were sweating in her gloves and for once she was thankful for the dreadful things.

Her voice barely audible and her unwillingness to look him in the eye, cut Anthony to the heart. "Forgive me, Miss Featherington. My emotions got the best of me."

It was well known that Anthony Bridgerton was quick to anger. It was not a trait he was particularly proud of but it managed to keep unwanted individuals from being in his presence too long. But Phoebe was not unwelcome. Rather the contrary was true. He wanted nothing more than to constantly be in her company, no matter how scandalous, for he truly found no one to be as mesmerizing as her.

Her big eyes looked up and gazed deeply into his own. Both their hearts were nearly beating out of their chests, yet neither acknowledged the feeling. "No apologies necessary, my Lord. You are simply doing your duty." Her thin smile concealed the hurt and longing she felt inside. She turned back to see Colin and Penelope a few yards behind, her sister beaming and giggling like a child. Colin was ever the gentleman, much like the other Bridgerton men. Her smile faltered a bit as she realized what must become of the man beside her eventually. "Besides, once your duty with Daphne is finished, you can see to finding your own match." She felt her chest constricting as if her corset was tightening of its own accord. Taking a deep breath she concluded, "Hopefully it is a love match. You deserve that much."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi readers!
Thank you so much for sticking with this story! I am really excited for you all to see where Phoebe and Anthony's story goes!
Please continue to vote and comment! I enjoy reading your thoughts and any predictions you have!