alex and willie (julie and the phantoms)

"argh!" the blonde-haired boy, alex, threw his drumsticks at the wall. they ricocheted off of the plaster and hit the ground. his band mates, luke and reggie, stared at him in disbelief.

"um... alex? you alright, man?" luke pulled the guitar over his head and put it down slowly on the couch. reggie did the same and leaned his guitar on the piano.

alex sighed and dropped his head into his hands. "i can't do anything today." he grumbled.

"hey, that's not true. you've been doing great on the drums today." reggie reassured his friend. he sidled over by his side and bumped his shoulder playfully. luke laughed. "you're fire on the drums, alex!"

alex shrugged. "i don't know, today just isn't my day."

"that's okay, you can't be perfect every day-" reggie started, but luke cut him off by shaking his head. alex's head shot up. the word 'perfect' triggered him in a way the boys tried to avoid.

alex had always wanted to be perfect. absolutely perfect. it had caused him to stop eating and start overworking himself. reggie and luke knew this and tried to not trigger him, but sometimes it slipped out.

reggie looked down, guilt evident on his face. alex dropped his head again for a moment, and then stood up angrily. "you know what? you're right. i can't be perfect every day. i can't ever be perfect."

"alex-" luke stepped towards him, but the dummer moved away. alex picked up his jacket and poofed away, leaving the other two boys with a final "i need to go."

luke and reggie stood silently, staring at the spot where alex had been.

"nailed it, reggie." luke turned to the boy and spoke sarcastically. "you absolutely nailed it."

"luke, i'm sorry. okay, i was trying to help him and it slipped out."

"next time, let me do the helping. you stick to playing the bass."

——————————————————————————

alex trudged down the street and stopped in front of a familiar building: the orpheum. he stared at the sign for a moment, then stepped inside. there weren't any shows that night, but caleb, his practical enemy, was there. alex hid in the shadows, trying to avoid coming into contact with caleb, but he was looking for someone.

willie.

alex searched the theatre for a good 10 minutes, but willie was no where in sight. a small digital clock was on the wall, and alex realized he was going to be late to practice. the boys practiced during the day, but julie had set a time for them to rehearse with her. he sighed and left the building.

unknowingly, behind him, was willie. he was backstage with caleb, also trying to avoid him, but having no luck. he had seen alex, but was afraid to call out him.

he really wanted to talk to him.

———————————————————————————

alex had arrived back at the garage and cooled down a little. reggie apologized and alex forgave him, and luke gave him a smile and a much-needed hug.

they started to rehearse, and alex was playing the drums with all his might. he was putting his heart and soul into it. music was all he had left.

"yeah, alex!" julie cheered him on during a small solo that he had. reggie whooped and luke gave him a huge smile.

suddenly, he felt a jolt in his body. normally, these jolts would only hurt his wrist, but this on went through his entire body. he dropped the drumsticks, clutched his chest, and fell to his knees.

"alex!" luke yelled, dropping his guitar and running to his friend. reggie followed suit, and so did julie. alex regained his composure and stood up with the help of luke and reggie.

"w-what happened?" alex asked softly. "why didn't you guys get jolted too?"

"i don't know." luke answered, and reggie shrugged.

"wait," julie spoke up. "that hurt your entire body, right?"

alex just nodded.

"okay, so maybe... maybe you're taking one for the team."

"what do you mean?" luke looked up at her.

"i mean, that he might be taking the jolting things for, not just himself, but you two also."

reggie's jaw dropped slightly and luke squeezed alex's shoulder.

another jolt rocked alex's body and he hit the ground with a groan.

"oh my god, alex!" luke caught his friend before his head hit the ground.

reggie stood up quickly. "let me find willie, he'll know what to do. it's probably some stunt by caleb."

"good idea." luke sighed and turned his attention back to alex, who was breathing hard and holding on to luke with all his being.

reggie poofed away, ending up at the orpheum. he ran around the back, finding a backstage door. he snuck his way in and around backstage until a reached a specific dressing room that alex had told him about. he knocked on the door, hoping the willie was inside and alone.

willie opened the door, surprised to see reggie. "reggie?"

"willie." reggie's fun demeanor was gone. "we need your help."

"um, sure. with what?"

"alex. something's wrong."

with that, willie walked out of the room and face reggie. "okay, let's go."

"to the garage." reggie grabbed willie's arm and they poofed away together.

they appeared in the garage, where they saw a worried julie standing next to alex and luke, who were on the floor. alex was in luke's arms and he wasn't looking great.

"about time you showed up." luke muttered.

"it's been 10 minutes!" reggie protested.

"yeah, and he's been jolted 4 times!" julie snapped back.

willie ran towards alex and kneeled next to him.

"alex, hey." he gripped alex's hand tightly.

"willie?" alex asked weakly. his eyes were starting to close. "what's happening to me?"

"i don't know for sure, but i think caleb did something to you." willie said, angrily emphasizing caleb's name.

another jolt hit alex, and he yelled out in pain. willie leaned towards alex and cupped his face in his hands.

"hey, look at me. you're going to be okay."

alex nodded, breathing hard. "okay."

"alex-" willie started.

"i love you, willie."

willie was stunned at alex's words. "i... i love you too."

"if it's the last thing i say, even though i'm already dead, i just had to get that out." alex laughed a little, and laced his fingers into willie's hand.

mkay das it :)