A Bad Grade

Cat Tyrell was used to getting good grades. She was, in fact, expected to graduate at the top of her class next year and knew exactly what her future was supposed to look like: a gap year during which she wanted to do charity work in a third world country, then studying at Harvard or Yale and last but not least a career as a famous writer. Was she arrogant? The way 17-year-old Cat saw it, she was just being realistic.

Everyone at school respected Cat: The teachers were all impressed, and her fellow students took it as a given that Cat would always be the best student in every class she took.

Then, in her junior year, a new teacher joined the staff, and Miss Right was unlike all the other teachers. Hip hop music was blaring out of her room during the breaks, she changed her hair colour every other week, even dyeing it purple, and she became fast friends with all the problematic students. 

Cat Tyrell and Miss Right were destined to meet. At first, Cat tried to accept the fact that this teacher was different as even her approach to discussing literature was different (One could almost say that it was a writer's approach because Miss Right was more interested in Nathaniel Hawthorne's jokes than in discussing the main topics of The Scarlet Letter). But after a month or so, Cat was shocked to discover that she had received a C in her essay on "Sin in The Scarlet Letter." Cat had never gotten a C in her life!

Therefore, she decided to discuss the matter with her teacher - and to start a war with this ridiculous person at once. "Don't you know who I am?"

Miss Right obviously didn't like the tone of Cat's voice. "Well, you obviously don't know who I am."

"Oh, I do know who you are. You are the worst teacher at this school! You're worse than most students here, even those who are on friendly terms with the vice principal because they see each other every other week in detention!" Cat stated.

Miss Right took a step back and eyed Cat closely. "You are 17, 18 years old and think you will one day own the world because you know stuff and can poop stuff on paper better than anyone else because you feel that's what your teachers want to hear? Let's just say I've been there, done that. I was a legend in this place before you were even born. And guess what, the world out there wasn't waiting for me... and it certainly isn't waiting for you." 

Of all the things Cat had expected to happen, this was one she hadn't even considered. Was it possible that this teacher had once been just like her? It would certainly explain why the usually very strict principal didn't do anything against this person. "Well, what do you expect me to do?"

"Develop an individual mind."