12

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

You get off the bus with Sakusa trailing behind you. After unloading your stuff, you talk to Coach Andō to make sure you don't need to do anything else before leaving. He tells you that your free to go after he gives his speech to the team, which mostly consists of congratulations and praise for winning the tournament. At the end, he announces that there will be a short break, one week to be precise, from practice.

Once he dismisses everyone, you awkwardly walk to where Sakusa and Komori stood. Sensing the delicate tension surrounding you and Sakusa, Komori makes up an excuse so that the two of you could walk home alone. You thank him in your mind, and you and Sakusa start walking.

You steal a look at his face while you are walking. His mask isn't on his face and is carelessly hanging from his jacket pocket, revealing his emotionless expression. His eyebrows are relaxed and his eyes focus on the sidewalk ahead. He doesn't seem to be thinking about anything to you. His thoughts, however, raced. He thought about everything and anything concerning the fight you guys had. When he agreed to meet up, he hoped you would initiate the conversation, so he patiently waited for you. If he  knew you were going to take this long to say something, he would've said something ages ago, but alas, his pride stopped him once again from admitting fault.

You knew you had to say something. Formulating the sentences, however, was not so easy. Nothing seemed right. You kept picking apart at your thoughts, unsure of what to say.

Finally, tired of the silence and the uncomfortableness, you and Sakusa open your mouths and speak.

"I'm sorry."

Shocked at the other person's words, both of you stay silent for a second, then you continue talking, looking at the ground.

"I shouldn't have blamed you for what happened with my friends. It wasn't your fault, they were just bad friends."

"I shouldn't have doubted your friendship with Fukurōdani's setter. I'm sure he's a great guy and I doubt he's actually spying on the team. I was just... jumping to conclusions," Sakusa apologizes

"Just so we're clear and no misconceptions are between us, I didn't mean what I said that night, about you staying away," you add, feeling your heart pound, "I don't want you to leave."

His dark eyes meet yours and he responds, "I don't want to stay away from you."

You break eye contact and slightly hide your face, not wanting Sakusa to see the small smile forming on your face. Sakusa looks in the opposite direction of you, also not wanting you to see his smile.

"So, friends again?" you ask, hesitantly.

"Of course."