23

—•—slight manga spoilers for how Itachiyama does in the Spring High—•—

A week passed since the Spring High competition ended, and now you're getting ready to go the fireworks festival with Sakusa and Komori. The team did well in the competition, and although they didn't win, no one dwelled on their mistakes and instead worked to improve their skills.

Even though Coach Andō gave the team a two week break, Sakusa practiced everyday to improve his skills and become a better volleyball player. Although he knows he will continue playing, their last match ended in an unsatisfying way for him. He hated how it ended and how he couldn't spike as he wanted to, which is why he kept working and practicing. He even debated whether he should skip the festival, but he remembered what he plans to do today. On the day of the firework festival, Sakusa planned to confess to you. That's what he told Komori, so going back on his word now would make him a coward and cause Hoshiumi and Atsumu to get your phone number.

He patiently waits for you and Komori in the meet up spot, until he sees you walking towards him. You smile when you see him, and notice how good he looks in his dark blue yukata.

"I hope you weren't waiting alone for too long," you say when approaching him.

"It wasn't long, besides we're gonna be waiting for Motoya for awhile."

"Right," you sigh, taking a seat at a nearby bench. Sakusa takes a seat beside you and the two of you sit in silence under the setting sun.

"You look nice by the way," Sakusa compliments you, staring straight ahead.

"You look nice too," you quietly say back.

Neither of you say a word after that and relish the compliments you've just received. Almost ten minutes after the scheduled meet up time, Komori finally arrives, wearing a light orange yukata.

"Sorry sorry," he apologizes, walking up to you and Sakusa, "I was talking to some friends and something important came up and I lost track of time."

"It's okay, the fireworks are starting in an hour so we still have time," you tell him. You start walking towards the festivals and quickly reach the outskirts of the festivities, while Sakusa and Komori walk slightly behind you.

"Don't tell me you were talking to Atsumu and Hoshiumi before coming here," Sakusa glares at his cousin.

"..."

"Are you not gonna answer?"

"You said 'don't tell me,' I was just listening to you," Komori shrugs, "They said they tried texting you but the message wasn't going through so they told me to wish you good luck."

"That's nice of them, I guess," Sakusa mumbles, "Maybe I shouldn't have blocked them then."

"YOU BLOCKED THEM?"

"Only for today. I was gonna unblock them tomorrow," Sakusa answers.

"You're so mean, I can't believe we're related," Komori jokes. He looks straight ahead and sees you walking a couple feet in front of the two of them. The entrance to the festival is coming up soon, so the food stalls and more people started to become visible. He hands Sakusa a red handkerchief and says, "Take this, you might get some better luck with or something, I don't know. It's brand new by the way, so don't worry about it. Anyways, I'm gonna vanish and enjoy the festival myself so I don't get in your way. Good luck Kiyoomi."

"Thanks Motoya," Sakusa replies, holding the handkerchief and slightly smiling.

"It's no problem. Also, I took thirty dollars from your wallet, just consider that the payment for my expert help," Komori quickly says before leaving. He speed walks away before Sakusa could catch him and vanishes into the crowd, leaving you and Sakusa alone together.

After taking a mental note of what Komori did, Sakusa catches up to you. The two of you stood near the front of the entrance. Lanterns hung on strings and stalls containing food or games lined the streets. Children eagerly run through the crowds holding food or prizes from the game stalls. You look over to Sakusa. You couldn't hear what him and Komori were talking about, but that didn't concern you as much as the fear in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" you ask gently, "Wait, where's Komori?"

"Oh, he saw some friends from school and left to grab food and play games with them. He said to just go without him," Sakusa answers, "And I'm fine. You said you know a spot where people don't go, so I can handle being in the crowd for a couple minutes."

"Okay, let's go then!" you smile at him, "I'll lead the way."

You start to walk until you feel Sakusa gently hold your wrist. You turn around and look down at his hand, then his face.

"Please be quick when we're in the crowd," he requests, preparing himself.

"Of course, I'll start going when you're ready."

He puts his mask on and takes a deep breath. He signals that he's ready and you quickly walk and manoeuvre your way through the crowd, periodically checking to make sure Sakusa is still behind you and doing well. When you get to an area with a few people you briefly stop to see how Sakusa is doing then keep going until you reach the spot you mentioned before.

"Okay, we're almost there, but there's barely anyone here so we can walk normally, if that's okay with you," you tell him, slowing your walking pace.

"Yea, I'm okay, thank you," he replies, letting go of your wrist. He adjusts his mask and follows your lead until the two of you reach a hilltop surrounded by trees.

You lead Sakusa to a clearing atop the hill and stop to look around. No one was around except one or two people, and from here you had a perfect view of the fireworks. You take out a blanket and place it on the dewy grass before taking a seat. Sakusa joins you on the blanket and looks around the clearing.

"This is a pretty nice spot," he says, taking off his mask.

"Right! It's basically perfect and no one really knows about it," you smile. Once you see Sakusa relax, you get up and pick up your bag. "I'm going to go get some food, is there anything you want me to get for you?"

"No I'm fine it's okay..." he answers. He pauses and thinks for a moment then gives you some cash from his leather wallet, "Actually, if there's a bottled water could you get me one?"

"Of course, I'll be back soon," you respond, "Also just keep your cash, I'll pay for it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yea, you made food for me and Komori before, so bottled water is my way to pay you back for that."

"Oh okay," he pauses, "Don't take too long, or you'll miss the fireworks."

"I'll be back in twenty minutes."

He smiles at you, then you head back to the main part of the festival. While you tour the different food stalls and search for bottled water, Sakusa stares at his phone with unblinking eyes. His eyes glaze over the list of reasons why he should confess his feelings he made in his notes app.

Reading the list over just makes him feel agitated, so he shuts his phone off. His preparation from before doesn't seem right now, every line he wrote before didn't sound right in his head. Taking a deep breath, he forgets everything he prepared beforehand and starts planning what he is going to say to you again.