24

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

You look down at your bag of food and figure it's time to head back to where Sakusa is sitting. While walking back, you spot Komori waiting in line for food by himself and decide to go see how he's doing.

"Komori, I can't believe you vanished on us."

"Oh, y/n," he turns to face you, "Wait, what are you doing here? Where's Kiyoomi?"

"I just came to get some food, he's at that spot I was talking about," you answer, looking for Komori's friends, "Sakusa said you were with some friends, but do you wanna watch with us? We have a pretty good spot."

"NO! ..uh, I mean no thank you."

"um, Okay? I'll go back myself I guess. Anyways, I'll see you later, make sure to find a spot to watch soon!"

He waves goodbye to you and tells you to hurry back as well. You start to leave the main area of the festival and walk back to where Sakusa is sitting. You see him laying down on the blanket, with his mask on, while looking up at the starry sky. He seems to be whispering something, but you can't hear what he's saying.

"Hey I'm back! I hope you didn't have any trouble."

"Some random girl from school came up to me and gave me her number," he complains.

"Oh, I see," you pause for a moment, "Even out of school you're so popular."

You bite the inside of your cheek and look down at your bag after talking. You forgot about all of Sakusa's fangirls. Everything starts to seem a little hopeless now. If Sakusa has all these fangirls, what good would your feelings for him do? He has a line of girls willing to be his girlfriend at any moment. Thinking about how your friendship with Sakusa could be ruined and replaced with someone else terrifies you.

"I'm not gonna text her," Sakusa says, as if he read your worries, "I don't like any of my fangirls. They just like me cause of my appearance, and they're always invading my personal space."

He takes off his mask and glances towards you. He notices that you seem happier which warms his heart as well.

"I'm glad you don't like them either. It's their fault I got a volleyball thrown at me on my first day as manager," you pout, "Anyways, I got you water. I also found some packaged chips if you want them, they're salt and vinegar."

You hand Sakusa the food and a disinfecting wipe from your bag, he uses his own sanitizer but thanks you for your efforts and the food.  Moments after you both start eating, and stealing food from each other, a single firework lights up the sky, signalling that the fireworks are about to begin.

Seeing the red firework light up the sky, you throw away both yours and Sakusa's empty food packaging and eagerly watch the sky.

"Before the show starts, I want to tell you something," Sakusa says.

You turn to face him and see the hint of blush on his cheeks, "Oh of course, go ahead."

"y/n, I-"

boom.

The fireworks started. Marvellous shades of pinks, reds, blues and greens filled the sky, adding colour and light to the both of your faces. Even with the fireworks lighting up the sky, your eyes never left Sakusa's.

He hesitates, but eventually brings his hand to your cheek. You feel his rough hand gently cup your cheek and the warmth radiating off him. A couple seconds pass since he started talking. The entire confession he planned slipped his mind and now he's panicking.

"Sakusa?"

You notice his slightly furrowed brows and the nervousness in his face and place one of your hands on his face as well. You slowly rub your thumb along his cheek and feel his soft skin. He looks back into your eyes then places his other hand on your cheek. He brings his face close to yours and falters again because Sakusa Kiyoomi is a coward.

He is a realist. He's a cautious, mean, blunt jerk. He is scared of germs and hates interacting with people. Crowds scare him and he is fastidious at times. All these things define him, but above all that, Sakusa Kiyoomi is hopelessly in love with you.

Holding you in his hands makes him realize just how much you mean to him, which terrifies him. The realist side of him tells him to run away and hide his feelings because how could someone as great as you love someone as mean and blunt as him? Sure he's confident in his volleyball skills, but even he knows he can't rely on them to win your heart. What if you don't love his personality as much as he loves yours? What if you don't see any good in him? Despite everything tell him to stop and give up, he is willing to abandon his realism in order to hope that you'll accept his feelings, despite how unworthy he may feel.

He brings his face closer to yours and observes how the fireworks reflect in your eyes. You notice his tension vanished and how close your face is to his. Sensing what is about to come next, you close your eyes and wait for Sakusa to kiss you.

His soft lips touch yours seconds later. One of his hands move from your cheek to your back to pull you closer to him. He pulls away first, but keeps you close to him.

"Call me Kiyoomi."

"Kiyoomi."

"Say it again."

"Kiyoomi."

He couldn't believe how beautiful his name could sound until you said it. If it was possible for him to fall deeper in love with you, hearing you say his name would've caused it to happen. There's something so different about when the person you love calls your name compared to others and Sakusa finally understood that.

Keeping your hand on Sakusa's cheek, you bring your face closer to his again, "Kiyoomi?"

"Yes?"

"Kiss me again."