A Symbolic Look on Beast Charmings

BOOK COVER SYMBOLISM

Black and white suit and tie
The traditional colors for mourning and funeral are black and white across almost all cultures and places. Ganito rin ang uniform ng mga lalaking Charmings.

Calla Lily
Lily or calla lily to be specific (the one in the book cover) especially the white one signifies restored innocence of the soul before departing for the afterlife. Kaya nga tinutulungan ng Charmings ang mga beast clients nila para mafulfill ng mga ito ang mga unfinished business nila, lalo na iyong mga may kasalanan (Father Piccolo from Act of Contrition for instance) because they have to redeem themselves from sins through confessions and asking for forgiveness. It also means resurrection and rebirth or reincarnation which was their main belief about the afterlife.

Beast Charmings
I designed the title that way because I was thinking of supernatural creatures and I have decided to use 'beasts' as a collective term for them. Charmings also gives me a fairytale-like vibe and thus presenting its relation to the back stories of each beast client to some of the fairy tales we loved with social issues as modern twists.

FIGURATIVE SYMBOLISM

Names of the Charmings
I have shared this earlier on my Facebook page but let me do it again here. The names of the characters were inspired from fairy tales as well. Apparently, Rumplestle from the titular character Rumpelstiltskin, Alladean from the titular character Aladdin also, and Snowbelle from Snow White and Belle combo. Quinnellssey is a word play of Queen Elsa (Frozen) and Tuttieana from Tiana (Princess and the Frog).

Descents of the Charmings
As you all know, the Charmings are half- Filipinos and another half of various descents. Rum is half- British, Dean is half- Indian, Queen's half- Italian, Snow's half- American, and Tutti's half- Chinese. Actually,   I connected Tutti, Dean, and Rum's descent based on history since history is something that really interest me. India during the period of the British Raj was placed under the British rule. Ang Singapore (a Chinese country) naman was part of the British Crown Colony before. To put it simply, na-colonized ng mga Briton ang dalawang bansa. Kina Snow (America) and Queen (Italy) binase ko lang din siya sa history pero hindi sila exactly in way na connected. Pinagpalagay ko lang ang ugnayan nila sa European invasion sa Latin America. Let's say ginawa kong representative ng European country si Italy na sinakop naman ang America.

Knowing that invasion and colonization aren't always rainbows and butterflies, they're dreadful and mostly bloody, I put them altogether and applied it to the characterization of the Charmings to support and promote the idea that despite their differences and histories, they and others too can still live in peace and work together.