20. Premonition

Clouded Distance

Chapter Twenty

Premonition

When Hana thought back on the day, it felt like a blur. Things had happened all too quickly. They'd competed. They'd won. They were all advancing to Regionals.

Regionals. Hana had never imagined she'd make it this far. She'd hoped beyond hope, but never actually considered she'd actually place first - even if only barely - and earn herself a position in the Regional tournament.

It still felt surreal an hour later, when they were gathered at Iwatobi SC Returns. They'd all decided to eat together, and they didn't have enough money for a restaurant. Hana didn't mind. Just being able to eat with her friends after a reasonably successful and carefree day was enough for her.

Hana's stomach growled when they entered the building and the smell of food hit her. She hadn't realised just how hungry she had been until then - she hadn't had anything to eat since lunch.

Gou lingered behind for a moment, claiming that she had something to do briefly. Everyone else wandered into a room, where a table and food had been spread out.

Hana's jaw hit the floor when she saw the large amount of food laid out on the table. Her stomach twisted painfully.

"This looks so good," Hana moaned.She sat down, and her mouth watered slightly as she did so. It took all of her self control to not devour the food then and there.

The seven of them sat down. "Gou-chan!" Nagisa called. His voice echoed slightly on the tiled walls.

"Coming!" Gou yelled back. They soon heard the sound of feet hitting the ground quickly and soon Gou was back among them. The redhead was all smiles as she took her seat on the table.

"You all swam at full strength today, so you must be hungry," Miss Amakata said, gesturing to the food.

"Aren't we just," Hana muttered under her breath. She reached to get herself a bowl of rice.

"This is quite a selection of carb-heavy foods..." Rei muttered dubiously, eying the selection carefully.

"I made it!" Gou piped up. She raised her hand. "Carbs are great when you have a competition the next day!"

So I probably shouldn't be eating too much of it. Hana shrugged the thought off as quickly as it came. I'm starving; I'm not just going to start being picky!

Well, perhaps she could be picky about one thing on the table. The protein powder stood out like a sore thumb. 

"Protein power again?" Nagisa asked brightly. Hana's stomach churned upon sight of the power, horrid memories of the last time they ate food with protein powder rushing to the forefront of her brain. "Is it strawberry flavour?"