25. Falling Apart

Clouded Distance
Chapter Twenty-Five
Falling Apart

The race was over. All the other swimmers had clambered out of  the pool, and Haru got out last. Hana flinched as she saw the way Haru walk - all eyes were on him, and she could hear the whispered conversations in the stands. 

Without any further prompting, the brunette spun on her heel and sprinted in the direction of the locker areas.

"Hana!" She heard Makoto yell, and caught sight of her friends scrambling out of their seats to spring after her, but she didn't care. Haru was going through something difficult, and she needed to be there for him.

As she dashed through the halls, thoughts flew through her mind. Why didn't I notice how he was feeling? I should've noticed! I'm his girlfriend, I'm supposed to be there for him! Hana winced, recalling those telltale signs Haru had displayed before Regionals. I should've noticed. I should've been there for him! I should've helped him... how come I only realise now, when it's all too late?

Blood pounded in her ears and she made the cast corridor to the men's locker room. She gasped and clutched the doorframe, looking inside, needing to see Haru. What saw witnessed, however, caused her to lose her breath.

It wasn't until the blood receded from her ears that Hana was able to make sense of the situation unfolding before her.

Haru and Rin, at close quarters. They were arguing, and Rin was yelling. In the corner of her eye, Hana was aware of Makoto, Nagisa and Rei approaching, but all her attention was on her two friends in front of her.

"Then what do you swim for?" Rin was demanding, his voice rising with every word.

"I swim for myself and for my friends!"

Rin clenched his fists. "Then swim for those friends, and for your own sake! Do you not understand that what you do out there is going to impact your future?" His voice was increasing with every word, Don't you have a dream? Take this more seriously! I know you could -"

Haru's teeth were clenched, and his eyes had narrowed with every word Rin said. Then, in a sudden action, Haru slammed his fist again a locker door.

The sound rang in Hana's ears, vibrating through her body. She inhaled sharply and fought back tears. She had never, ever seen Haru as angry as that. What had happened to make him break down like this!

"You're the one that doesn't understand!" Haru yelled back. "What dream? What future? It's you who cares about all that! I'm not you! I don't have any of that!"

Rin was frozen in place. Haru's words might have just been a slap in the face. Without looking back, Haru turned and made his way toward the exit.

Hana stepped forward. "Haru..." She whispered. She reached out to grab his hand, then retracted her own as she thought better of it.  

Haru sighed. "You guys were in here?" He closed his eyes. "It's okay. Nagisa, Rei, Hana, Makoto. I'll swim the relay with you. That's what I've come this far for."

Hana frowned and wanted to speak more, but a warning hand was placed on her shoulder. She looked back to see Makoto shaking his head slightly. Now isn't the time to be pushing it, his eyes seemed to be saying.

"Come on," Makoto said. "Nagisa and Rei still have their races."

*          *          *

Rei's butterfly race had just come to a close. Hana sighed and leaned forward, resting her head in her hands.  Despite Nagisa putting every ounce of effort he had into his swim and Rei achieving a personal, best, it still wasn't enough to qualify for Nationals. Hana bit her lip. They'd all trained so hard... it was hard to see everyone's downcast expressions at the end of their races.