4. A New Club

Clouded Distance

Chapter Four

A New Club

Hana and the others managed to squeeze in between the lines of Samezuka swimmers to congratulate Rin. Their friend looked abashed, and maybe, did he looked a little scared as well? Hana would have stayed behind for a little while if she could, but they had to issue to get back to Iwatobi, just in tine for the first-year's introduction assembly.

After changing, they bid goodbye to Rin, Seijuro, Nitori and the others and left the Samezuka school grounds, caught the bus and made it back to Iwatobi High just in time. When they arrived, they were told to go backstage, their presentation two presentations away from then, almost one away die to the one currently going having almost finished.

By the time they reached backstage, they were next - the film society was currently presenting.

"The Iwatobi High School Film Society presents is masterwork!" the spokesperson was saying. Haru gazed out from their position in the wings to watch on. "Ten years in the making, a creature approaches, like none you have ever seen!"

"Amazing!"

Gou huffed. "You're too easily impressed, Haruka-senpai!" she muttered, attempting to pull him back from the film's society's brief video playing on the screen.

Hana looked back and rolled her eyes a little. Oh gosh, Gou, you're not going to get anywhere by going about things that way.

With a sigh, Hana walked up and joined Gou, attempting to drag him crack to the main group, "Haru, come on."

Pause.

"Haru, are you even listening to us?"

Haru didn't even turn around.

Hana sighed. "Gosh, I give up."

She was saved from restorting to drastic measures when the film concluded. "We look forward to welcoming new members!" the members on stage said, as the audience applauded. 

The PA crackled to life. "Next, the swim club will introduce itself."

It's show time.

Hana breathed in deeply. She wasn't used to standing before crowds. The thought of standing on that stage made small, faint butterflies appear in her stomach.

Remember. What you're doing is hardly worse than what Gou is about to put the boys through. If they can do that, then you can stand on that stage!

With that thought to encourage her, Hana looked back at Nagisa and Rei and sent one more encouraging, apologetic smile before she followed Gou out to stand at the podium set up for speakers.

The lights on the stage provided a clear path for them to walk, and it also illuminated the large number of first-years in the crowd. Hana breathed in. Just remember, be calm. Public speaking isn't hard.

When they came to a standstill, a spotlight turned on and focused on them. Hana blinked in response to the sudden bright light, but soon recomposed herself.

Gou was the one to get them going.

"Our swim club began last spring, when we repaired the pool and started the club ourselves," Gou started, with a smile. "I'm the swim club's manager, Matuoka."

"And I'm joint manager and freestyle swimmer, Etsumi Hana."

Gou grinned and retook control of the microphone. "And this is... our treasurer!"