14. Keeping Quiet

Clouded Distance

Chapter Fourteen

Keeping Quiet

Their footsteps echoed as they made their ways up the stairs to the roof. The staircase was narrow and empty, making the echoing sounds all the louder,

Hana clutched her lunch box tighter in her hand as she, Haru and Makoto moved up. Nagisa and Rei were either already there or still coming, for Gou had summoned them all for a meeting. And, for some strange reason, she had told them to make sure they brought their bentos.

Hana couldn't help but wonder what her reasoning was.

When the three of them emerged from the stairwell, they were momentarily blinded by the bright sun. It only took a moment to adjust. When they did, Hana bit her lip. Gou stood, looking surprisingly intimidating as she stood tall with her arms folded, Rei and Nagisa seated in front of her.

I'm definitely scared now, Hana thought. She felt tempted to run off, but felt things would only become worse if she did that.

So, instead of running off, Hana just continued to walk forward. Hana felt a bit like a primary school kid as she did so.

"So, there is but one reason I have gathered you all here today!" Gou started, once they were all gathered.

"What 'one reason' do you mean?" Rei asked.

"No needless talk back!"

The blue-haired boy shrank back a little. "Yes ma'am," he murmured.

Wow. What caused Gou to act like this? Hana shrunk back a little from her friend.

"Gou-chan, you're being scary!" Nagisa stated.

Gou ignored him, and placed her hands on her hips. "As prefecturals will soon be upon us, I shall be conducting a surprise bento check today!"

"What?"

"No complaining!" Gou glared at them all. "As athletes, eating a balanced diet is part of your training!"

Shoot. Hana glanced down at her food for the day and frowned. I guess this was a bad day to be in a rush and just hurriedly grab the leftover pizza from last night instead of making a proper bento...

"My diet is completely balanced," Haru muttered

"Then please let me see yours, Haruka-senpai."

Hana just about choked when she saw Haru's bento, consisting only of rice and mackerel. Good grief, he considers that balanced? 

"It's not balanced at all!" Gou exclaimed. "Haruka-senpai, this gets forty-three points! Your lunch is too simple! Next, Makoto-senpai!"

Makoto's was certainly more balanced than Haru's, for sure, and healthier at that.

"That looks so yummy!" Nagisa exclaimed. He leaned over to get a better look.

Makoto laughed. "Do you really think so?"

"Makoto-senpai." Hana cringed at a little at Gou's tone. This doesn't sound good. "Sixty-eight points. There's nothing but meat in here, and not enough vegetables!

Like Haru, Makoto was left speechless, but Gou didn't even pause as she rounded on her nest victim "Next, Rei-kun!"

"Certainly!" He leapt up. Hana was surprised about his confidence after how Gou had talked to both Haru and Makoto. "Go right ahead and examine my bento all you like! See how it's fully of leafy green vegetables! Please also note the care with which the arrangement of the components was made, based on colour theory!" Rei laughed loudly. "What do you think? Is this not beauty approaching perfection?"