6. Sakura

Clouded Distance

Chapter Six

Sakura

Hana breathed deeply as she was called up for her race. She had already gone through the usual pre-swim routine: placed her clothes and towels in her locker, struggled to fit her swim cap over her head, and grabbed her goggles.

Now, she stood in front of the pool, ready to race. She bit her lip as she looked at the expanse of water before her. Had the pool always been that long? She played with the blue strap of her swimsuit as she waited for her race to be called up, a nervous habit she'd picked up recently. Hana was very much aware of the swimmers on either side of her. She was in lane three, and felt a little claustrophobic as the people on either side of her continued to close in, making her lane look that little bit narrower.

Hana knew she was being silly. There was no need for the nerves she was currently experiencing. But, this was her first real competition. She could see all of the spectators within the stands. She'd managed to zone in and find the location of her friends, and they all waved to her as she waited to be called to the starting blocked. She smiled as she was able to find her Iwatobi friends, as well as Rin on the opposite side of the spectator's stands.

Knowing that her friends were there, eager and ready to support her, made Hana feel a little more at ease. Even though she was swimming on her own, she wasn't truly alone. She had her friend's support to keep her going.

"Ready." The announcement took Hana by surprise a little. With a start, she pulled her goggles over her eyes, making sure they were securely in place as she walked up and stood up on the starting blocks. She didn't want them falling off like they had for poor Rei on several occassions.

Just like the other swimmers, she bent down, wrapping her fingers around the edge. Her toes dangled a little over the block.

The shot sounded to start the race. At once, Hana launched herself forward, positioning herself to dive. The tips of her fingers were the first part of her body to hit the water, and soon as she was entering the underwater phase of her swim.

Hana gasped in a lungful of air as she reached the surface once mroe, and quickly began her stroke. She could hear the crowd cheering even though the water continuing to interupt with her hearing. But she didn't really notice that - all she was focused on was getting to the other end.

She pushed herself harder, giving it all she had. She didn't know where the other swimmers were - all she knew was that she had to kick harder, move her arms faster. Her 

The halfway mark was approaching. As always, Hana felt her stomach perform a somersault. Her turns were the weakest part of her swimming.

She had to move in without hesitating, or she'd lose her momentum. Hana gasped in a deep lungful of air as she went for the turn, the world spinning a little. She felt a deep sense of satisfaction as she managed to get a good kick-off.

The last leg was before her. Hana pushed herself with everything she had, making herself go faster without losing her technique. Her heart hammered in her chest and she continued to edge closer to the finish.

One more strong kick, one more movement of her arm, Hana told herself. Strong kick, move the arm, repeat. She was close...

Her hand slammed against the board. Hana stood up, breathing deeply and heavily as she ripping her goggles and cap off, looking up at the board to see how she'd placed. Her eyes widened.

She'd won. And she'd achieved a personal best.

Hana chuckled through her gasps for breath. With a smile on her face, she pulled herself out of the water, shaking her damp hair back. She paused as she got out, looking back to where she knew her friends were. She saw them, all waving. She waved back, before she trooped back to the change rooms to get back into her jacket and trousers.