30. Always Connected

Clouded Distance
Chapter Thirty
Always Connected

Before anyone knew it, there was just one more day to Nationals. Hana woke up that morning, feeling like Nationals was staring at her in the face. Even though she wouldn't be racing, she still felt the nerves. She had seen just how much effort her friends had been putting into their training recently, and wanted to see those efforts be rewarded.

Hana spent most of the day with Gou, since everyone else was busy practicing. She hadn't been able to spend much time with her friend recently, and was glad just to spend a day with her, even if they were just seated in the stands. They talked endlessly and animatedly about a good many things. Gou questioned her about Haru a number of times, which made Hana's cheeks burn every time, much to her friend's amusement.

Then the day was over and night was falling, and Miss Amakata was taking them out for dinner. Hana's jaw dropped when she saw where they'd be eating that night; it was a far nicer place than she'd expected to be eating at.

They were directed to a table situated outside, with a gorgeous view over the city. Hana smiled and shook her seat next to Haru, moving her chair a little closer to him. She wanted to make up for the time they'd lost over the past few weeks, and any opportunity they were given was one she was going to take.

"It's the night before nationals, so order absolutely anything you want! It'll be my treat!" Miss Amakata said, as they pulled out their menus.

"Wow, Sensei!" Gou exclaimed, as Hana's eyes widened at the generous offer. "That's really generous!"

Nagisa grabbed the menu and scanned it over. "In that case, let's get the potato salad, seafood salad, fish and chips, roast beef, onion soup, Yorshire pudding, spaghetti, arrabbiata pasta, pasta pescatore, jellied eels, spicy french fries, cheese omelet, porcini cream risotto, egg-topped lobster, grilled lobster, lobsters in -"

"Stop!" Miss Amakata cried. She marched over to Nagisa and snatched the menu from his hands. "Hazuki-kun, why don't we go with that for now? But without the lobster."

"What?" Nagisa moaned.

Hana chuckled, but was relieved that Miss Amakata had stopped their friend from saying much more. Just listening to him rattle off all that food had started to make her feel sick, and they hadn't even eaten anything yet. She picked up a menu and started to look it over, trying to find something that she might be interested in eating that day. 

"Nagisa-kun, you're truly merciless," Rei said blankly.

Haru frowned as he read the menu over. "Is there misco mackerel?"

"They definitely wouldn't have that here," Makoto said with a laugh, while Hana rolled her eyes and hit Haru playfully on the shoulder. It's like his diet consists only of mackerel!

"They do have mackerel meuniere, though!" Rei said, pointing it out on the menu.

"How about salt grilled?"

"I told you, they won't have that here!"

"How about this?" Rei said hurriedly.

"What is it?" Nagisa asked, leaning over to see what Rei was pointing to. 

"It's s seafood risotto."

Hana wrinkled her nose. "I'll never be able to agree with your love of seafood," she muttered. She looked back at the pasta options, sitting back quietly while the others debated over what they should order.

Eventually, they were all able to settle on a menu that they were all satisfied with, and somehow managed to convince Haru to order something other than mackerel for a change. Hana laughed and joined in the conversations, continuing to relax more and more as the night went on.