8. Questioned

Clouded Distance

Chapter Eight

Questioned

Hana yawned, covering her mouth with her hand as she did so. She closed the door behind her and stepped outside. She rubbed her eyes and stretched a little. Getting up earlier than usual, especially to do maths homework, was exhausting. Hana thought that writing an essay would have been easier at this time in the morning in comparrision to trying to wrap her head around a few math questions.

However, the wind was a rather cool one, and slowly Hana found herself starting to wake up.

She wasn't kept waiting for long; Makoto and Haru both stopped before her house. She smiled and, after greeting each other, they headed on their way to school.

"Hana?" Makoto asked presently, after a small silence. He peered a little closer at his friend, eyes narrowed as he realised Hana wasn't exactly looking like a usual self. "What's wrong?"

"Huh?" Hana stifled a yawn and flushed. "Oh... I just got up early this morning... to finish that homework we were set." She admitted this last part very quietly.

"How come?"

Hana hesitated. Did she want to say this in front of Haru? She didn't want him blaming himself for the state that she currently found herself in.

Well, if doesn't look like I'll have a choice in the matter. Makoto wants to find out.

She rubbed the back of her head. "I was up late... and mum didn't allow me to stay up to finish the homework..."

Makoto frowned. "That's annoying."

"Yeah..." Hana rubbed the back of her neck, and clenched her teeth to stifle another yawn. "Sorry I missed our morning run again."

"Don't worry. Your well-being is more important."

Hana sent a grateful smile in his direction. "Thanks, Makoto."

The three of the, continued walking. The wind played with their hair, bringing with it the salty tang of the ocean. Hana inhaled the scent deeply, smiling a little as she did so. The tang of the ocean was a familiar scent around the coast of Iwatobi. Strange to think I'd have hated that smell just a year ago. How things change.

Haru walked a little closer to the brunette girl.

"Hana... I'm sorry," he said quietly. It was too low for Makoto to overhear, but still, their friend paid no attention to this little exchange. He was used to their actions together by now.

Hana tilted her head to the side, a flash of guilt rising through her as she realised just what Haru was apologising for: for proposing the idea for their date, which ended up getting her into trouble.

Hana would never let him take the blame for something as silly as that.

"About what? You have done nothing wrong, Haru." Her voice was firm.

"Last night..."

"Pfft, I had fun with you, and that's all that matters." Hana moved her hand, so she intertwined her fingers in Haru's. "We just know now to move our dates to weekends, don't we?"

"I guess so."

Hana beamed. "See, problem solved."

They reached Iwatobi High soon after. Hana scanned the crowds for Gou, Nagisa and Rei, and deflated a little when she didn't spot any of them. She sighed, rocking back on her heels. Oh well. We'll see them at break.