Chapter Fifteen:

"Hey, I'll be quick," Kelly proclaims, hopping out of the Squad truck, which is parked just outside of Chicago Med.

Joe and Capp share a look of confusion at the determined lieutenant; however, Kelly ignores them and makes his way to the Emergency Room.

"Hey, Kelly," Maggie Campbell, the Emergency Department Charge Nurse, greets.

"Afternoon, Maggie." Kelly grins, "I heard there might be a job opening up for a nurse in pediatrics. Is that true?"

"Good for you, Severide. The world needs more male nurses," Maggie jokes.

"Haha. Funny."

"Let me check."

Maggie logins into her computer and searches for the job opening, only to come up empty.

"No. That listing's been pulled. Must've been filled," Maggie discloses, turning back to Kelly. "Who's this for?"

"No one. Just a friend."

"Well, sorry. Med's the place to be."

"Guess so. And no need to mention to anyone that I was asking, alright?"

"The only business I mind is my own."

Kelly chuckles, retreating back to the Squad truck. The lieutenant keeps to himself as they return to Firehouse 51. The vibrant sunset illuminates the skyscrapers of the Windy City, and a rather tranquil, yet eerie, day comes to an end.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Alex inquires, breaking Kelly from his intense stare at the refrigerator.

"Nothing."

Kelly sighs, resting the back of his head against the wall. A bag of chips hover in front of him.

"Will you put these on top of the fridge?"

Alex hands Kelly the bag, but she takes notice of the lieutenant's blank expression.

"Okay, spill. What's wrong?"

"Med had an opening for Anna that would've been perfect, but they filled it."

"What makes you think she wants to move here all the sudden? You didn't want to move to Springfield either," Alex mentions, recalling how Kelly turned down the Battalion Chief job offer at Springfield.

"Good point."

"Look, I'm sorry to hear about the position."

"Battalion 25, Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61. Still and box alarm. 1100 Fulton Street."

The firefighters jog to their respective trucks, sliding on their turnout gear with ease. The flashing lights gleam brightly as they speed to the scene.

"1100 Fulton? That's commercial, isn't it?" Matt questions. "Big warehouses?"

Otis nods, keeping his eyes on the road ahead, "Yeah. Remote area at night. Must be burning pretty good to have so many people call it in... Unless they're calling from inside."

Matt peers back at his men, "I want everyone ready to go as soon as we land."

"Got it, Lieutenant," Stella replies, pulling her hair back into a tight bun.

"Herrmann, bring the rope bag. We have to expect the worst," Matt asserts, smelling the powerful scent of smoke.

The trucks come to a screeching halt in front of the blazing warehouse. A small explosion rocks the warehouse, causing screams to echo from inside. Teenagers sprint out of a rear exit and toward Wallace.

Matt never looks away from the warehouse, "We're gonna need every company in the city."

"Hey, what is this place? A club?" Kelly asks as one of the teenagers passes him.