chapter two

this is me realizing that i'm going to write the whole story in karl's pov. anyway, continuing on.

monday (first day of senior year.)

i open my eyes. i'm in the same position i was when i fell asleep. curled up. i stretch out of my bed, and look in the mirror. i look rough.

i take a quick shower, and dry my hair. it curls up, and i try and pat it down. there's no use. i guess i'm going natural today. there's not enough time to put any product in.

i quickly change into something presentable, and decide on a red and dark gray sweater with black jeans.

i decide to skip breakfast today because i'm not hungry. i text chandler.

chandler

u okay?
read 11:38pm

today

morning, i'm good. just wondering
when you're going to be here?
read 7:46am

glad ur okay, and i'll be there
in about 5 minutes.
read 7:46am

okay cool, see u then.
don't text and drive.
read 7:47am

i walk downstairs, hoping that chad has left for work already. i look around. he has.

tw/ mention of abuse, violence, and bruises

"mom," i say.

she doesn't look at me.

"mom," i say again.

after she doesn't look at me again, i grab her shoulder and turn her to face me. she looks down. i lightly grab her chin, and take a good look at her face.

she begins to cry.

"mom, i'm so sorry," i tell her, holding her close.

she was bruised. she had a black eye, and a hand mark on her neck.

"i'm sorry," she whispers.

"i know, mom. i know." a tear falls down my cheek. i quickly wipe it as my phone chimes.

it's chandler.

"mom, i have to go. i love you."

"i love you too, baby."

(in the car, 7:51am)

chris looks at me. i know he's examining me for bruises.

"chris, can you please stop. he didn't hit me," i tell him.

i pause for a while, and then say, "he hit my mom, guys."

"what? he's never done that before," chris says sympathetically.

"i know," i pause again. "it's because of me. she was protecting me, i know it. it's my fault he hit her. it's all my fault," i can feel myself heating up, so i quickly face the window.

"karl, it's not your fault," chandler says.

"BUT IT IS," i shout.