Out

"I'm Nova." I said,

I walked towards the bleachers and he followed me.

He was much talkative but it felt nice to have some company even if there wasn't any chatter.

We sat there, eating and taking small gazes out the corner of our eyes.

I smiled for more than a second and it surprised me more than it did him.

After school I arrived at the house. Tristan left in his car. He offered me a ride but I enjoyed the walk.

When I arrived a car was in the drive-way and it looked familiar...

It was— Brian. My mom's junky boyfriend. At the front door my clothes laid.

The door opened as she stood there with a cigarette in her mouth and her arms crossed.

"Are you putting me out!?" I asked her.

"Yes" she said.

I couldn't stop the tears that fell down my cheeks. They were way too fast

I forced my way in and Brian stood there, pushing me back out the door. He slapped me when I fell and spat on me like I was dirt.

I grabbed my stuff that laid there and walked down the road to the closest bench at a park.

I laid there and cried till my face became the color of my blood. I was going through a range of emotions.

"What are you doing here?"

I looked up at the familiar face...Tristan.

I sat up, looked up at him and I couldn't stop crying my eyes out.

He sat next to me and gave me a hug that made me feel safe, protected. It made me feel as I was going to be okay. A feeling I hadn't felt since the last time my dad hugged me.

Still crying, I said,

"My— my mother..... s— she put me out....."
he stood up and grabbed my things.

"Come on. We are going to my house. It'll be okay". He gave me smile assuring me that.

When we were in his car, it was an awkward silence. I liked he asked no questions to make me more upset. I liked the silence. I think he knew

He knew.

When we got to his house. I couldn't help but be a bit surprised. His house was surprisingly big.

"This is your house!??" I asked

"Yup".

There that smile was. The smile that made me smile. The smile that's going to change my life forever. This boy surprises me, really.

He makes my pain disappear at times and it's something I deemed impossible.