Chapter 1: the beginning of what seems to be a downhill slope

"(Y/n) you're wanted in the office," a colleague of mine told me. I nod and head on my way, not thinking much of it. It was probably another case he wanted me to oversee. I mean I am the ultimate forensic scientist after all. And I'm not saying that to be egotistical! Or,, at least I hope I'm not;;;

I don't have much time to ponder on the subject much longer because I make it to the boss's door. I give a knock and carefully turn the knob. Instantly, the energy felt off. Anxiety quickly bubbled inside me like a shaken up soda bottle.

"Sit down," the boss said, something lacing his voice. I couldn't tell what it was but it wasn't something to take lightly. Uh oh. What did I do???, I thought to myself, I'm one of the best people working here?? I somehow managed to keep a serious face, but I was internally battling my nerve wracking thoughts. I follow the man's instructions and take a seat on the worn vinyl chair. The man cleared his throat before going to speak again.

"M(/x). (Y/n) (L/n) due to certain talk going around about you. You have been deemed unfit to continue working with us, and I am asking you to resign your position." I had no clue what he was going on about but the way he said 'talk' sounded like it left a bad taste in his mouth. My blank expression faltered for a moment.

I shifted in my seat. "I'm sorry, but could you so kindly elaborate what I have done, because frankly? I don't think I've done anything worth firing me over." The way I spoke was nonchalant but I was shitting bricks. Seriously? What have I done to warrant a resignation? I awaited a response, but what I got was not what I was looking for.

My boss quickly stood up, sending his office chair flying backwards.

"You know what you did (L/n)! Don't you play dumb with me!", he sneered.

My eye twitched violently. What the hell was this man's problem? The accusation in his words sent me over the edge. My blood boiled and anger fueled words spewed from my lips.

"Oh! I see how it is! You're just going to fire me over something I don't even know about?? Isn't the whole point of this industry to figure out the truth?? Sheesh! Y'know what? Fine! Have fun with your little game of clue with these 6's!" I get up and slam the door behind me. Most everyone looked up to see the commotion, most looking either confused or concerned. I didn't care though. Why should I? Whatever rumor these bozos started about me cost me the career I worked my ass off to have.

I hastily grabbed my things and left, purposely making as much of a mess as I could.

* * * * *

The next few weeks have been something sort of a living hell. I've had no luck with finding a job. Who knew how much some stupid rumor could smudge your reputation? Money is tight. Every job has turned me down. I'm overqualified for them anyways.

I sighed and continued to absentmindedly scroll through my email. Hoping some grand opportunity would magically appear. My tired eyes scanned through the hundreds of spam emails I don't even bother touching. Just as I closed the tab my eyes caught something. "WAIT", I hollered.

I frantically tried reopening my email as if the message would disappear after a set amount of time. "THERE," I said as I caught sight of the message. I click on it.

"Hello M(/x) (L/n)!

I am reaching out to you with a job offering you may be interested in!

You are needed to identify and write a short piece on how and when a victim died to help students solve crime scenes. It's no joke when people call you the Ultimate Forensic Scientist. I know you are truly the best person suited for the job!

If this offer interests you, respond to this email and we can set up an interview.

Looking forward to hearing back from you~!

Bye!

-  Monokuma, Hope's Peak Academy's Headmaster"

I nearly leapt out of my seat. It was truly a dream come true. I quickly responded to the email.

"Hello Mr. Monokuma, thank you so much for reaching out to me! I am interested in the position and free whenever for an interview. Let me know what works best for you. Bye!"

It didn't take long for me to receive an answer back. It honestly kind of surprised me.

"Great! The interview will be tomorrow at one at Hope's Peak Academy. See you then~!

-  Monokuma, Hope's Peak Academy's Headmaster"

Hope's Peak Academy..

* * * *

(A/n: Revised 9/23/22 Republished 11/5/22)