Chapter 3: honestly i've had worse jobs

Ding dong bing bong

In an instant, my body jerks awake and my head spins in confusion. Where am I??

"Wakey wakey eggs and bakey-!" I quickly sit up and see a smiling man peering over the foot of my bed, arms behind his back. Then it hit me. The events of yesterday came flooding in. Suddenly relieved, I threw myself back down on my bed and let out a sigh.

"You scared the shit outta me-!" I whine and rub my tired eyes.

Monokuma suddenly appeared to my left side and ruffled my hair "Aww,, don't be too upset.. I thought I should give you a proper welcome for your first morning." He gave a shit-eating grin. He knew he was an asshole.

"Yeah and perhaps my last," I mumble in a sarcastic tone. I roll over and hide under my sheets. As quickly as I put them on, the sheets were violently yanked off me and tossed to the side. Everything was so cold and so bright. Hrng..

"Aw cmon don't be so sour,, you're gonna be late for the orientation. Be in the gym no later than 7:00 sharp. Or else!" And with that he slammed the door behind him. I jerked up 7 O'CLOCK??!! I look at the clock on the wall. 6:32. I face plant into a pillow and groan.

After a few minutes. I finally slink out of bed and over to my closet. I'm not even gonna bother asking how,, but I was able to move all of my stuff here yesterday. I mean there's still stuff in boxes but.. Everything's out of my old apartment so that's good I guess. I was on the verge of getting evicted anyways. So maybe that's why.. hmm..

I put on a white collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up 1/4 of the way and the bottom lazily tucked into my black trousers. After finishing up I drowsily make my way to the gym. By the time I got there my body ached from all of the stairs. I scanned the large, noticeably empty gym. "I don't know what I was expecting..", I grumble. Taking a glance at the large analog clock I check the time. 6:57. Huh well I have a few minutes.

Right as the clock struck seven Monokuma popped up from behind the podium. Was he there the whole time or?? I was both humored and confused at this.

"I'm so glad you all could make it here this morning~ puhuhu," he spoke as if there was a whole crowd of people here. I rolled my eyes. "As you know you were hired to examine bodies and write reports on them, yes. However, I'm surprised you didn't question where the bodies would come from, M(/x) (Y/n)." His gaze finally made its way to me.
My brows furrow and I try to not show much shock. Partially I was in disbelief that I missed this. Was I really in that much disarray to miss such a big detail? THIS IS LITERALLY MY JOB FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Although, I felt a part of me did realize this fact, but I didn't pay much mind to it.

"I knew they had to come from somewhere. But I didn't question where.." I intensely stare into space, lost in thought. He was right though, where would the bodies come from? This whole situation has gotten more and more concerning. His stupid grin widened.

"As you know, this was Hope's Peak Academy's campus," he put emphasis on the 'was', "I've invited 15 students to attend my school of despair~!" he knew what I was going to ask next because he continues, "The students will be trapped here until they are murdered or graduate!"

"And I'm assuming those who graduate are the murderer?" I rose a brow.

"Puhuhu! I knew you weren't completely stupid~" He makes it sound like it's no big deal. And?? I'm not sure whether to be offended or not.

"This is just a game for you, isn't it? And we're just your pawns."

"A game? Oh when you put it like that you make me sound so heartless~", he says in a uncharacteristic sad tone. He must of heard me scoff because he does a full 180. His energy completely changed back to what it was before in the blink of an eye.
I get lost in thought again trying to piece everything together.

"So my job is to examine these bodies and write reports on them. I'm assuming you give the report to these kids for them to figure out who did it. So the kids who graduate is either the murderer or whoever figures it out??"

"Ohh so close! Whoever gets away with murder graduates and whoever remains dies. However if the murderer, or 'blackened' as I like to call it, gets caught they die." Yikes. These kids have to try and do what I've spent years learning and perfecting??

I sigh. "You're lucky my moral compass is out of whack.. and that I'm desperate... aand that I've already signed the contract." Monokuma just laughs.

"I knew you'd be good for somethin! Now before you go I have a few other things to tell ya~!
1. You are not allowed to leave until someone graduates.
2. When/if that happens you are not allowed to speak of this to anyone.
3. You are not allowed to help the students.
4. Parts of the building will be locked off for students. You can access these areas, but you cannot let anyone else in.
5. You will dispose of the body during the class trials.
Aand 6. You will be the janitor any other time-!" The two-toned-bear-wannabe cackled at the last one.

"Puhuhu~ and about the reports you will have access to the security feed, but I figured you would want to do it on your own since that's your thing." I nodded not knowing what else to say.

"Oh and before I forget." The man disappeared and seemingly began to dig through some stuff behind the podium. Then in a flash dropped something into my arms. On top was what looked to be a jacket neatly folded up. "Don't be shy~ Try it on!" I do as I was told and put on the jacket. It was a black button up with a collar. It honestly resembled a denim jacket. On the right arm were two patches. One of the school emblem and under a yellow rectangular one labeled 'CSI'. On the right breast there was a patch resembling Monokuma's eye then finally under that was my last name stitched onto a red background. Overall the jacket seemed sturdy and it had a nice weight to it.

"Tada~! Your uniforms!", he exclaimed. I looked at the second thing in the stack. I unfold it to find it was a white jumpsuit with the school's emblem on the breast rather than arm. I'm assuming this was for when I went to clean up the crime scene.

"Thank you they're nice." I fold the jumpsuit up and tuck it under my arm. Monokuma's grin seemed to widen and he blushed a little. I dunno but he genuinely looks kinda happy. "If that's all I'll be on my wa—" I cut myself off as I felt something in my pocket. I pulled out a card like tablet thing. Whatever it was it was advanced. "What's this?"

"That's your e-handbook which doubles as a master key so don't lose it." I nod then shove it back in my pocket. "There's files on each of the students on there. Look through them when you have the time." I give another nod.

"Ok now really if that's all I'll head off—" With a 'yup' from Monokuma I go back to my dorm.
Shutting the door behind me, I kick off my shoes. I look up at myself in the mirror hanging on the wall.

"So this is how it's gonna be huh?", I talk to my reflection, "Well, I suppose it could always be worse. But for now I'm going back to bed."