Chapter 9: show me a word that rhymes with pavement

My gaze bore into the monstrous wooden doors before me. The Headmaster's Office.

I felt so little compared to its stature. The size alone stirred some sense of intimidation within me, nevertheless what was inside. A small frightened mouse, that's all I am.

Of course I knew what was inside, I've been in several times. But that was different. Every time leading up to this point I've been with Monokuma. That's what makes this time so difficult. I wasn't sure where Monokuma was, or what he'd do or say. Was he waiting inside? Will he get mad at me? I suppose that is a risk I am (hesitantly) willing to take.

I held the key card like you would the morning paper, pinched between my index and my thumb. I wasn't even sure if it would work, last time I tried it was a no go. I spoke to Monokuma about it and he said it was just a malfunction. Though, the question is: how much can I trust him? Well, I suppose this is the moment of truth. With ever-so-slightly trembling hands I swiped the card. Not even moments later a green light flashed with a confirmatory beep. The lock turned and the door popped open.

I timidly peer inside, only slightly relieved that it was empty. Closing the door behind me, I made sure to make as little noise as possible. It almost felt illegal to even breathe. And so, I began digging through the shelves, searching every nook and cranny for Class 78's file.

It was easier to find booze than it was to find the records, so I've learned. Seriously, how much alcohol does one man need?? Just when I was about to give up all hope, there she was, tightly hidden amongst other things. It was almost like it was trying to be hidden.

The book wasn't very thick by any means and it was bound with black plastic binding. The cover was made of card stock and the edges were well worn from use. I pressed it tightly against my chest as I snuck back off to my room. I wasn't even sure why I was being so cautious. It's not like Monokuma won't find out either way, there's, like, two surveillance cameras in his office alone. I'm just being paranoid. Hrngg,..

I was able to make it to my dorm without any interruptions. Though, by the time I got there I wished this school had an elevator that led to more than just the basement. It was an ultimate pain in the ass to go from the fourth floor, to the first, to the second to get to my room from the office. It wouldn't be as bad if the stairs descending to the second story weren't completely blocked off from giant piles of rubble. I collapsed in my bed, still in my work clothes. To be fair, they weren't too dirty, just kind of sweaty from going up and down stairs. With a tired groan, I kicked off my shoes and flopped over onto my stomach. I open up the booklet to a page towards the beginning. Hopefully, I'll get to learn a bit more about the students. I mean, I was asked to look into them,, I've just been,, procrastinating,, yeah that's it.

Absentmindedly flipping through the pages, I stop dead in my tracks. Someone I didn't recognize. Cold grey eyes, a hardened expression, dark hair neatly framing their face, and freckles dusted across their pale cheeks. My brain fogged with questions.

Mukuro Ikusaba; Ultimate Soldier; Status: Deceased;