Chapter 11: thnks fr th mmrs

Click!

The cold metal door to the data lab swung open with a satisfying pop, like a newly opened soda. It was then that I carelessly pocketed my key card for another time. I closed the door behind me, and was temporarily blinded by the blue luminescent light from the copious amounts of monitors displayed along the walls. You could hear the digital hum coming from all directions, entrancing in its own way; like the steady beat of rain. The ringing ricochets off of the metallic walls.

I was the only thing here made up of organic matter. The thought struck me like it was something profound. It was not, but it certainly struck me that way.

My eyes darted around, screen to screen, not sure which one to focus on.

I took a seat in the sleek office chair just in front of the control panel. It was a rather large monitor on a desk, screen slightly angled back. The screen displayed a 3x3 grid, each showing a different camera feed. I figured they were the active ones. In the corner of each grid was small lettering labeling which camera it was.

In one of the thumbnail views you could see some of the students gathering in the cafeteria, nothing out of the usual. I tapped on the screen to get a better view. In the bottom right corner I noticed a steadily blinking red dot the words "LIVE: Cafeteria" following. On the opposite side had what looked to be a rewind button. So obviously I pressed it.

Up popped a list of dates and times along the y-axis and any activity was highlighted an orange color. I dragged my finger along the orange highlight and watched the tape as it zipped through frames. Nifty. Backing out, I scrolled through some older recordings.

I stopped at one dating back to a week or so ago. The camera was labeled as "Hallway 1-A". My brows raised a bit when I spotted myself wandering aimlessly-- and looking mildly irritated--  I had been staring blankly at the checkered tiles when I had came to a stop. I squatted down for a moment, inspecting whatever had caught my attention, until I finally picked it up. The coin.

I chuckled lightly knowing what was about to ensue.

The video played out just how I remembered. Monokuma appeared out of seemingly thin air, and me nearly jumping out of my skin. Looking ridiculously stupid as I did so. I swear my hair stood on its ends. Monokuma joked around with his signature smug grin and irritation radiating off of me. Funny how my expression now no where near resembles what it did then. My head was propped up with my hand, half-lidded eyes an a stupid smile of my own. And looking back, it's a good memory and I'm glad I get to take care of it.

Y'know thinking about all the times Monokuma has gotten on my last nerves, they aren't bad memories. He hasn't done any harm, any actual distress. He's just a stupid silly bastard. Though, when I think about my old job, I really thought I was content, but looking back, those memories are stressful, tiring.

I guess,, I wasn't content after all.

#########

(A/N) hiii didn't forget ab this just got stuck. 

Not a big fan of this chapter but I suppose it gets the candle burning :-0