Chapter 5

"Dude, hear me out here." You are vibrating like a kid on pixie sticks. You slide your hands apart as if to display written words. "Lightsaber."

"What's a—"

"Donnie." You put your hand up before he can continue. "Imma stop you right there. I am going to take your hand and kindly ask you to tell me that you know of, or at least have heard of, Star Wars."

"I do not."

"That is a fucking crime."

You have been sitting with him for approximately an hour, watching him dismantle a "Kraang bot" as you register for school and start ordering supplies. You are quickly starting to realize his knowledge of anything outside the bounds of science is limited to whatever he read by virtue of his father, which consisted of one book on Greek mythology, one on the Italian renaissance, one on ancient Japanese history, and one on Japanese folklore, or anything he learned via the interests of his brothers. Because of this, he seems to know exactly jack-shit about things you consider common knowledge, such as the concept of foreshadowing or Poptarts or Hitler outside of a general association with the name and emotion of some sort, leading to interactions like the one you're having right now.

"It's not a crime," he defended. "It's just I was never really interested in that kinda stuff."

"But it's Star Wars!" You throw your hands up. "How do you not know of Star Wars, at least?"

"Look, you're saying it's really good, right?"

"Well, yeah." Your voice lowered.

"Why would somebody throw out a good movie?"

You sigh. "Yeah, that's fair. But!" You point at him. "But I need to watch it with you, if only out of principle. Besides," you settle down, "it's a very... traditionally plotted story. I still have to give you that lesson."

"Yeah, but after I finish this." He pushes his laptop to the side, picking up the soldering iron and moving back over to the pile of metal you know will become Metalhead.

You nod in agreement, leaning forward in your chair to watch him fuse wires. "You know what?" You smile. "I may give you shit, but it is really cool watching your whole process."

"Hm?" He looks up at you from his lean forward.

"Well," you shrug, folding your legs on the chair, "I just mean that it's cool seeing how you go about building all this junk that is just... what's the word?"

"Untraditional?"

"Revolutionary."

He has a funny look on his face. "You think so?"

"Oh, totally." You nod eagerly. "I told you that I thought you were one of fiction's greatest minds, didn't I?"

"No, you didn't." His face is turning red.

"Really? I swear I did the day I met you..." Your eyebrows furrow as you try to remember.

"You said something about inspiration." He smiled softly, voice airy.

"Oh, then I—well, it kinda is the same thing." You rub the back of your neck, feeling your own face heat up. "Must've—uh—misspoke. I do that," you trail off, "kinda a lot."

"I think it's cute."

You feel your heart skip a beat. 'Oh come the fuck on. Really?' "See," you hear your voice rise a register, "that is so not fair."

"Huh?" The color drains from his face as he tries to remember what sounds just came out of his mouth. "What did I say?"

"You're not allowed to just say shit like that." You cover your face with your hands, feeling your heart swell. "You're not my boyfriend or anything."
"Wait, what did I say?"