Chapter 10

"I'm thinking about getting some gloves."

He looks over at you as he laces up his skates. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," you nod, smiling slightly to yourself as you look your hands over, trying to imagine what they would look like. "Like, badass, fingerless gloves."

He smiles. "Dude, those would look metal as fuck."

"Totally, right?" Your smile widens. "With studs and shit."
He gets to his feet, hopping onto the ice. "Hell yeah." He drops a puck to assault as you go back to your backed-up coursework the best you can—your handwriting has gone to hell, but you are working with what you have.

You flinch at the crack of his stick, the cross of the T ending up underneath the letter somehow. A cheer from Casey tells you the rubber cylinder's fate.
'I swear I learned this.' You squint at the basic algebra, the pencil, crudely held in your fist, hovering over the packet. 'Why can't I do this?'

"How's your pile coming along?" Another crack.

"It's comin'." You run your fingers through your hair. "Just... trynna remember how to do ne—... subtraction." 'Not debate. Negating is debate.'

He laughs. Another crack. "Man, that thing really fucked you over, huh?"

"Thoroughly." You decide against continuing to torture yourself, having been at it for the past five hours—most of it in the library before Casey invited you to watch him practice some more— and set the large stack of homework back in your bag. "Are you actually making the shots?"

"Casey Jones doesn't miss shots." Another crack.
"Pardon me, oh almighty king of the ice." You stand on your good leg, grabbing the side of the wall to watch as he went back to collect his pucks.

You two have managed to bond over a mutual respect/love of heavy metal and hockey and, seeing as you are staying out of the Hamatos' hair for a while—not upon request, but out of courtesy—you have managed to spend a lot more time with him than you may have otherwise. Your school has not assigned Biology any big projects yet, so, until you are assigned it, you do not have anything other than your health to stress about.

"Pardon accepted." You watch his form as he performs another slap shot.

"You..." you trail off, trying to remember what you were going to say.

"What?"

You shrug. "Dunno." You lean your head on your arms. "I'll remember eventually."

He drops the second puck. "Got any plans after this?"

You sigh. "Nope. Probably gonna head home and try not to cut my fingers making dinner again."

He takes another shot. "Then let's go out after this. You and me."

You smile. "What, don't have any plans either?"

"Nah." He drops the third. "Dad doesn't care if I'm home late anyway."

"True, true." You have decided against prying into his home life; it is not your place and does not concern you in the slightest. "Where do you wanna go?"

"Wanna catch a movie? Heard there was this new pizza place just a couple blocks down if you wanna try to sneak it in."

You snicker. "In the box and all?"

"Yes." He grins mischievously and hits this one off the walls. Some way, somehow, it still makes it into the goal. "I bet your sweatshirt is big enough to stick the box under."

You stick your tongue out at him. "Not in the mood for burns on top of scars, Jones," you reprimand him teasingly. "That just ain't it."

"Then you can wear mine under that one and—"