Chapter 14

"I trust you won't be creepy."

"I'm thankful." Yoshi runs his thumb along the rim of his cup slowly. "You have little faith in me, as I understand it."

You try not to be disrespectful. "Well, things in your life could've gone better, right?"

He seems to consider this for a moment. "I suppose so." He takes a slow drink. "Mistakes from my youth have led to many hardships. Still, though the road has been a long and strenuous one, I would not want to change my past."

Your untouched drink is cradled in your hands. "You don't regret anything?"

"It is a foolish and maddening thing, longing for a life unobtainable to you." He closes his eyes, your own scanning the walls for the photograph you know is in some nook or cranny. "Besides, if things hadn't happened the way they did, I wouldn't have my sons."

You can understand, intellectually, he does not mean to be—and likely is not— as arrogant as you perceive him. Still, something about the way he sits, the way he speaks, even how he looks at you now makes you feel painfully inferior, as if you reacting the way you are makes you somehow beneath him in more than a literal sense.

You decide against arguing the point, eyes flickering from the shrine back to the man in front of you. "I guess that's true." You know you are not going to drink any of what he has offered until you have to. "And you've always thought like that?"

He nods. "It was what I was taught."

Nodding, you look back down at your cup, a deafening stillness settling between you two. 'He convinces me to come here,' you grumble silently, 'and all I get for it is a lecture and an awkward silence.' You look back up at him, setting the clay vessel on the ground and pulling your knees to your chest. 'I could be doing something else, like fixing my shirt or something.'

"Speaking of them," he continues, "Donatello tells me you have been experiencing night terrors."

'Snitch. Did he tell me he told him?' "You don't?"

His eyebrows rise. "Sorry?"

"We have the same trauma," you explain simply. "Both our families died in fires we caused. Think that counts."

He does not even flinch. "I've never thought of it that way." He smiles softly. You want to punch him in the face. "I suppose so, yes."

"You seem pretty calm about it."

He chuckles at your expression. "I've had fifteen years to come to terms with my loss," he takes another drink. "And," he jokes, "I was often simply too exhausted to have nightmares back when the wound was fresh; caring for four young boys is tiring, you understand."

"Right." You crisscross your legs in front of you. "Yeah, the makes sense."

"Having said that," he continues, voice lowering, "I can't imagine going through what I did at your age." He sighs. "If something like that happened to one of my boys at this age, I can't honestly say how they would cope."

'Poorly. I'd guess they'd cope poorly.'

"I understand that you and I have differences in ideals and morals."

"You could say that." Your mouth stretches into a wry smile. "I honestly only started hangin' with and helpin' y'all as a way to make up for my manslaughter. With this exception, I live by the adage, 'Not my circus, not my monkeys.'"

"As I said," he covers his mouth to hide his amusement, "we differ in that respect. I take it that's why, when Donatello explained the situation—" you break eye contact—"he was unable to explain in any sort of detail what they were about."