seven

We were all sat in the parlour at around 11am. I was reading, Matilda was playing the piano with Ambrose, Mother was embroidering and Matthew was trying to learn to dance with what seemed to be air.

"Matthew what are you doing?" i asked poking my head over the side of the couch to watch him trip over his own feet. "Have any of you ever wondered why i always say no to women who want to dance with me?" he replied clearly frustrated. I had only been here for about a week and already i knew a fair amount of dances, i was sure i could help Matthew learn just one. "here, dear brother, let me help." I insisted getting up off the couch and standing opposite him. "now, im sure you know how to bow." i teased. "right that's it, sit back down, i will learn to dance myself." he said clearly about to run after me. i ran back around the couch sitting back down again. "This is my safe spot!" i laughed "safe spot?" he inquired back at me. "yes! it means you cant hurt me while i'm on this sofa." i responded. He squinted his eyes and eye squinted mine back at his but in more of a mimicking way before we both burst into laughter and he dropped down beside me.

"speaking of dancing Diana, have you spoken to James since the dinner?" my mother asked me continuing to embroider. "Mother, it has been 2 days i'm sure if he was really dazzled by me he will send some flowers soon." i replied still catching my breath from laughter. "Diana, he's soon to be a duke! And he's perfect for you in every way, you cannot sit there and tell me that he didn't have a handsome face." she smiled finally looking up at me.

"Fine mother, if it makes you happy, i will send word that i wish to promenade with him." i assured her. She cheered and got up leaving all her crafts behind before grabbing my arm and taking me upstairs to choose my dress and do my hair.

 She cheered and got up leaving all her crafts behind before grabbing my arm and taking me upstairs to choose my dress and do my hair

(Diana's dress and hair)^^

"You look wonderful Diana, just wonderful." Mrs Haywood beamed smiling and hlding her hands close to her chest like she was proud. For some reason, her sense of pride by just seeing me in a dress made me feel something i'd never felt before almost like... fulfillment. i went towards her and hugged her tightly and she put her arms under mine to rub my back. I felt a tear go down my cheek from disappointment that i had never experienced a moment like this with my mother in the 21st century but also from happiness that i was experiencing it now with Mrs Hay- my thinking chain stopped.